Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Hop on the Criticism Train

CO is JonGreenway who has been multitabling $1/2 NL for a few months now on Stars. He seems pretty good. He thinks I suck (I think anyway). I've been running a little more aggro than usual at this table (25/22ish). I have about $210 in front of me. I'm at work so I don't have the hand history but I'll try to spice it up for those that hate raw ones.

CO (Villain)= 600ish
Me= $210

He opens to $8 in the CO, I 3 bet to $28 out of the BB with KQo.

He raises a ton of hands OTB and in the CO so I figured this is pretty standard. I know, I know reverse implied odds and stuff but I hate flatcalling here (I used to do that in the past) and I hate folding to a guy raising about half the deck.

He calls the flop raise.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I lead $36, he calls

Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check (????), he bets $58 (????), I say he could have QJs,Q10s,JJ,tens,99,88, pair and a straight draw now, the board is getting drawy, screw it I'm all in.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Hop on the Criticism Train

I don't mind as I think it's pretty close.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:52 AM

Looks good. Are you going to post the 450bb pot you lost to that huge fish yesterday?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:53 AM

i think its fine. hes gonna be floating you alot on this board since he assumes that you are probably 3betting 99+, AQ+, alot of which after a flop cbet cant stand much further action. If you were 3betting with that range which is reasonable for him to put you on, then he probably wont expect you to continue with less than AQ, KK+. One he bets that much , theres like nearly half your effective stack in the pot once you call, and you cant really afford to fold anymore imho. you might aswell just get it in and hope hes picked up some pair+draw like 67 that he wont fold.

i think stacking off with top pair good kicker in a 3bet pot against an aggro player isn't much of a leak, if it is a leak at all.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:55 AM

No because I'm at work. You can I guess.

I completely butchered that hand but how the F does a guy minbet me UTG with 109 and then raise the flop on a gutshot.

I thought he might drop AK (which I thought he had) if I repopped his minraise on the flop so I decided to play it really weird and it [censored] me.

I thought he had KKK on the end once he pushed but since I put $300 in there i had to call.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:55 AM

I think you played this fine.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:56 AM

Do people find this a normal preflop 3 bet against a regular? I don't like it but then again I can't see calling or folding.

In a way I almost like folding best and that makes me feel so nitty.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:02 PM

preflop is fine imho. and i dont think you always need to cbet this flop by the way IF AND ONLY IF you know that he will take stabs at these pots when checked to with air/worse hands. if he never bluffs then you are just giving him a free 2outer , which isn't compensated by the times he tries to bluff you.

given your read of villain and his pf stats i think he will bluff sometimes...especially vs you who he perceives as a weaktight player. so basically i think against this player there ARE merits to checking the flop.

mix up calling preflop sometimes too. depends on how good you are at playing this guy oop, and what kinda reads you have on the way he plays certain hands.

if you are calling preflop...you are NOT just calling to hit a K/Q/draw. you are looking to checkraise his cbet on boards that he is likely to have missed. think about his opening range, and how that range is helped by the flop. does he cbet second pair type hands or check behind? stuff like that
Old 09-21-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do people find this a normal preflop 3 bet against a regular? I don't like it but then again I can't see calling or folding.

In a way I almost like folding best and that makes me feel so nitty.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hear ya, KQ is a really sticky hand esp OOP.

If you do hit a pair with KQ you're mostly just trying to get to showdown, right? To that point a flat call may be better than a 3bet. A flat call keeps his range large and allows you to play a smaller pot oop than you would if you 3bet.

Thoughts??
Old 09-21-2007, 12:04 PM

Well he doesn't think I'm weaktight...he thinks I play my hands too aggressively and overvalue them...he seriously said that.

P.S.: I really play weak tight against you because I think you will always try to make moves against me so I try to toss you some rope.