Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Setting up a home poker \"league\"

I'm thinking of getting about 15-18 of us together and holding a series of 6 tournaments to send someone to the '08 WSOP. Not the main event, but maybe one or two of the lower buy-in events. I have a few questions:

-What would be the best point system to use?
-Should I hold back a little of the buy-in and have a prize pool for each individual tourney? I'm thinking a $375 buy-in for 18 people=$6750 and pulling back $1750 for prize pools for the individual tournies. This way, people out of the points race will still have a reason to play.
-I'm thinking of throwing out each payer's worst finish just in case someone can't show to one of the tournaments. I'm doing this to generate more interest so people don't freak at having to make themselves available 6 different nights.
-What is a good blind structure?

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Setting up a home poker \"league\"

wow this sounds like a great idea,i bet you could get more people then make the buy in lower, or give more entries, maybe half of prizepool( from every week) goes to top two players in points at final week.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:01 AM

Here's what we do in my league - I use TD and the buy-in money - is for the games' individual money pool - and then I add players for a 100% rake "add-on" with no chips for those that are playing for the trip - this way you can have one-time players in the game - basically, call it $5 buy-in for everyone, $10 if your in for the big series...we ignore the "non-add-in" players in the cumulative points. For a scoring system, we are using a slightly modified formula of TD's defualt.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:19 PM

SHAMELESS PLUG: Use my website for your league: www.homepokertour.com

For my league's next season I'm considering collecting a lump sum payment up front, not awarding any prize money for each tournament, and paying out the prize pool at the season end tourney.

The season end tourney will be for the top 8 people on the leader board, and the starting chips will be proportionate to the points each player has accumulated. So some players will start with big stacks, others will start with small stacks. Example: 100K chips in play, player1 has 40 points, player 2 has 20 points, player 3 has 30 points, player 4 has 10 points. Starting chips are:

player1 - 40000
player2 - 20000
player3 - 30000
player4 - 10000
Total cihps - 100K

I use the standard point system based on the number of players in each tourney. For example: 10 players, first place gets 10 points, second 9 points, etc., last gets 1 point. If I wasn't doing a season end tourney that uses different starting stacks based on points, I would use a different point system.

I also allow players to drop their two lowest tourney scores when calculating season end points.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:23 PM

I did a tournament of champions this summer. The set up is kind of like a league, but players don't have to worry about missing a game and ruining their points. Just throw a number of tournaments, and let the top player, top 2 or 3 or however many you want to choose, play in a final game, the championship game. I gave a portion of the pot to the winner, and the rest went into the final table fund. One thing, if you have players who win mulitiple times, have another tourney for their seats and give that cash to the double winner.
I don't like leagues, cause if you miss a couple of games, your Fuked.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:55 PM

Discuss it with your players, see what they'd like to do.

We've been slowly hashing this out at our games, and this seems to be what we're working towards:

* $100 tournaments, no rebuys or addons, likely 10 to 12, one every two or three weeks, everyone gets to drop one tournament from the total point calculation.

* $50 to immediate tourney prize (very steep payout), $50 to WSOP fund.

* At the end of the league, we send as many people as possible to $1500 events, and we all have a share in any prizes.

The percentages are really all that need to be worked out. How much a "share" is worth, etc. I'm in favor of a weighted system with repeat players getting more value for each tournament played. At the same time, I suspect this league will be very successful, and I'd like people to feel comfortable playing simply for the week's tourney and a share.

I think trying to send as many as possible will be more appealing to more people. We view it as us sending our best players for a shot at bigger money, rather than a prize for one person who happens to have a good run over a few tourneys.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

* At the end of the league, we send as many people as possible to $1500 events, and we all have a share in any prizes.

The percentages are really all that need to be worked out. How much a "share" is worth, etc. I'm in favor of a weighted system with repeat players getting more value for each tournament played. At the same time, I suspect this league will be very successful, and I'd like people to feel comfortable playing simply for the week's tourney and a share.

I think trying to send as many as possible will be more appealing to more people. We view it as us sending our best players for a shot at bigger money, rather than a prize for one person who happens to have a good run over a few tourneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this idea. Although I'm not certain I would be able to find enough people willing to put that much into a regular tournament.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although I'm not certain I would be able to find enough people willing to put that much into a regular tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's why it's best to talk it over with your crowd. Right now we have a rotating cast of about 35-40 regulars for our monthly tournaments, and I think we could probably get 20 regulars at least for a WSOP league. Everyone seems rather stoked about it. I don't plan on starting it up until after the holidays, so we have a little time to hammer out details and figure out potential taxes and get contracts drawn up.