Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2007, 03:20 AM

Default Re: Pope blames atheism for all the worlds problems.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh ok so God is still responsible for...hundreds of billions of people suffering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hundreds of billions? I think not, there hasn't been that many of us born yet. Anyways if you want to blame God for the fact that all humans at some point succumb to the rigors of the ecosystem go right ahead. I don't but I'm the type of guy who doesn't blame the Michelin Man when the tires on my car wear out either.

Stu
Old 12-01-2007, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh ok so God is still responsible for...hundreds of billions of people suffering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hundreds of billions? I think not, there hasn't been that many of us born yet. Anyways if you want to blame God for the fact that all humans at some point succumb to the rigors of the ecosystem go right ahead. I don't but I'm the type of guy who doesn't blame the Michelin Man when the tires on my car wear out either.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about? Its not me who is blaming him, its you. You said God is responsible for natural occurances, just not man-made ones. So hunger and cold and disease and all that lot.

And sorry, I added an "s" in there, I meant hundred, not hundreds, I guess.

Although I suppose its safe to assume that pre-human primates suffered as well. They maybe were not the responsibility of God though?

Wow, actually, that animals feel pain at all is a pretty big deal right?
Old 12-01-2007, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyways if you want to blame God for the fact that all humans at some point succumb to the rigors of the ecosystem go right ahead. I don't but I'm the type of guy who doesn't blame the Michelin Man when the tires on my car wear out either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did God create humans? Did God create the natural environment?

As for the Michelin Man, he can only create tires within certain parameters. He's not very powerful, see. His tires are subject to God's natural laws. And God chose to make entropy the basis of nature. So, if God exists, it is God's fault - not the Michelin Man's - when your tires wear out.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

What is a 'god'?
Old 12-01-2007, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm the type of guy who doesn't blame the Michelin Man when the tires on my car wear out either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, you can squarely blame your god for that!