Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 03:54 AM

Default Re: A Hand Concerning Perceived Ranges

Oh come on.. preflop is fine. He's button with 75o.

Just fold the turn to the c/r. You're totally [censored] when he does that.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:01 AM

I honestly play every street differently.

Since we're so interested in ranges, why don't you tells us what range you put him on when he C/Rs the turn.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure you greatly overrate your ability to "outplay people postflop in position" and overcome terrible hand selection. A large part of your edge over the random donkamentuer in a 109 FO should definitely be superior hand selection, which you've now thrown away.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a donkament. donkament players are notorious for not folding anything. at which point do you consider your mighty 75o good enough to feel happy showing it down?
Old 06-30-2007, 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure you greatly overrate your ability to "outplay people postflop in position" and overcome terrible hand selection. A large part of your edge over the random donkamentuer in a 109 FO should definitely be superior hand selection, which you've now thrown away.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a donkament. donkament players are notorious for not folding anything. at which point do you consider your mighty 75o good enough to feel happy showing it down?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, obviously when I hit a straight, duh. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My ranges for him (give or take obv), in order of likeliness:

Flop - overpair/6/flush draw/random donk OOP "float"
Turn - 6/flush/AcTx or something of the like
River - flush/6

The real problem though is that my hand by the river looks like flush/overpair, so my hand is right in the middle of my perceived range, and beats exactly half of his range.

(I say half but obviously don't mean exactly that otherwise it'd be obv to get the chips in if that was true)
Old 06-30-2007, 07:24 AM

Why is everyone bagging on his preflop raise? It's a little loose, but it's not like it's absolutely horrible. "Outplaying someone postflop" doesn't mean bluffing them all the time. It means that you are going to make better decisions than them almost all of the time. That may be making a good laydown or a good value bet or a good bluff or whatever.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:29 AM

I like 3-bet shoving the turn. If he has a dry flush draw, maybe AcQx or something of the sort that he just decided to float the flop with, we are ok with him folding the turn or calling it off getting a bad price. He is very capable of having A6, 86, 56, K6s, maybe even 96. If we're beat, we're beat, and maybe the river will be the 5c. We should certainly push the turn if we are planning on putting all the chips in on the river.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:56 AM

Gavin-- People are bagging on his preflop raise, because u get yourself into sticky marginal situations against randoms who you have know idea how they play.

This is a pretty sick turn decision, i think its close bwtn folding and shoving, but i fold

Also as played, just shove the river, looks more bluffy(AcX). Your hand looks like a straight value bet as it is.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gavin-- People are bagging on his preflop raise, because u get yourself into sticky marginal situations against randoms who you have know idea how they play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but isn't that where our skill advantage comes into play? We are going to take advantage of the marginal situations better than they are. I'm not saying that raising preflop is optimal. Folding is the best play, but I don't think it's some gigantic mistake and you are completely spewing by raising on the button here.

Also, yes, the turn decision is pukey.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but isn't that where our skill advantage comes into play? We are going to take advantage of the marginal situations better than they are. I'm not saying that raising preflop is optimal. Folding is the best play, but I don't think it's some gigantic mistake and you are completely spewing by raising on the button here.

Also, yes, the turn decision is pukey.

[/ QUOTE ]

So then why fold.. ever? Just because we have a skill advantage, doesnt mean we should take these marginal sitautions (i would say edge, but i don't think there is any) against randoms (who for all we no, might be better then us?). As the newf said earlier, are biggest edge against a random, whom we have no reads on, is hand selection and position.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:29 AM

The river bet is suicidal IMO. By that point villain is either ahead of you or has given up and won't call. The only hand you can really hope for is a 6 and I think villain is going to raise the flop almost always with a 6 in hopes that you have an overpair or overcards w/ FD and want to get it in on the flop. I just see this being a flush/boat most of the time. Fold PF, fold turn, check river.