Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Joe Sebok Barred From Canada Over Vandalism

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i heard this, and was just wondering why sebok wouldn't just tell them he was going to play in the tournament, since i'm sure that's what his plan was anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's BS that they barred him (and the stuff about the trafficking allegations seems like something out Brazil or something), but it seems Joe took the wrong approach to crossing the border and offered way too much info at the outset. As our cabbie mentioned after we passed the border, "Never tell them more than you have to. Canadian customs are notoriously huge [censored]. " Unless they were traveling with a bunch of recording equipment or something, there was no reason to complicate things by saying anything other than, "We're going to play a poker tournament." Anyway, sucks Joe...

[/ QUOTE ]

& U think american customs aren't huge (censored) ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, sorry, did I offend you by insulting your country's border personnel? I wasn't comparing Canadian customs to any other country's, not sure why you latched onto that one sentence when it had relatively little to do with my point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's the opposite, canadian'custom have the world wide reputation to be a strainer. Few years ago, I was coming back to Canada by car at the Messena/Cornwall' border, & the customs officer was sleeping in his booth with his feets on the counter. I've stayed there for 15 seconds or so, then I hooted, & he jump from his chair & start to ask me " how long in USA ? ", " have U bough any goods ? " , etc, like if there was nothing.

-jpp
Old 10-29-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I swear every single time an American poster says anything about another country, it just rains fire on him from every Canadian, European, Australian, Dominican, Mexican, and Rwandan 2+2er who got offended.

Canadian customs officials in my experience ARE much worse than Americans, thought the Canadian customs guys I deal w/ are Quebecers, so they have problems of their own.

Anyway, relax Canada, Shane wasn't saying you guys have bad beer or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why you gotta single out Rwandans???
Old 10-29-2007, 05:39 PM

it scares me how much power these border people have.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:44 PM

i drove a friend's car, who is candien, to Canada to help with his move. The border patrol claimed that they smelled marijuana in the car, and were asking me a ton of question to as why I was driving a Candien registered car in the US. It was pretty simple. I explained it several times, and the mounties were obviously having a good old time [censored] with me. They took me to Candien jail, claimed that I had no rights to a phone call, etc. On the scaryness scale it ranked at a 1. They wanted to know were all "my narcotics" were. They police officers were a joke. They were like the guys from that Super Troopers movie. I demanded to speak to an attorney, etc, like I would do in the good old USA, and they laughed at me....telling me tht I was a long way from home, etc. I told them, look, I am not afraid of you guys, this aint Mexico, and you guys arent going to do [censored] to me. It was basically a who's got a bigger [censored] contest between me and the most intelligent Candien officer.
The kept me for about 20 hours until my "attorney" showed up. I explained to this guy how the police didnt listen to anything that I told them, and basically were running the border and the holding station that they had me in, under their own rules, and laws. The attorney went to go talk with the cops and within about 3 minutes I was let out. I could see the attorney pretty much telling the cops how stupid they were, and what kinds of recourse I had against them, etc. The Candien police then apoligized to me, very sarcastically. My friend's car is still being held by the Canadian government, and he isnt getting anywhere with them as far as getting it back. The story is much, much longer than what I have here, but you get the gist of it. What I have found in my travels, is that EVERY custom agency LOVES to [censored] wth foreigners....but the Canadian customs cops are by far the funniest, and just a waste of their governments $$.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Advice for entering Canada

What if you are going to the Peoples Republic of China, the next great poker market ?
Old 10-29-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it scares me how much power these border people have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope this is a level.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:10 PM

I am canadian, and everytime i come back to canada they always give me so much [censored]. They have scanned my credit cards for Coke many times, and they are just aggressive as hell in their questioning me, so from my biased perspective they are deserving of their reputation. Whereas when i go to the states they just say "hello, you are white...welcome to the USA sir".
Old 10-30-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ive never had any trouble going into quebec, only when Ive come back to the US through either through vt or ny. I wouldnt even say that they were dicks but that they had frequently scheduled random searches. Usually its just "Give me the keys and pop the trunk."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny, because I've only had problems going into Quebec. It's always when I'm in a hurry to get wasted out of my mind, hit on hot canuck chicks, with friends who are ahead of me that this happens. Coming back has always been easy.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:49 PM

Barry talks about it here:
http://www.cardplayer.com/tv/28460
Old 10-31-2007, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Joe Sebok is not 30 years old... do the math.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhhhhhhhh....yes he is