Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Re: A Hand Concerning Perceived Ranges

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're gonna raise it preflop, make it 80.

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought pot sized or 4x was the standard open for 100bbs+ deep. And if our edge comes from abusing them in position or whatever, don't we want the pot to be bigger so that we gain more when they miss the flop and fold to our cb? Also, our edge also comes from the fact that we aren't going to overplay top pair, but they likely will. We wanna build the pot for when we flop two pair, trips, or a straight, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely not that simple. You're actually making an argument for keeping the pot small preflop because you're arguing that our edge comes from how big stacks--i.e., how big they are relative to the pot.

Preflop raise size is really complicated, and if you gave me this hand in a total vacuum, I'd 3x it definitely. However, there are lots of other hands that I'd want to 3.5-4x here, and while I'm generally not concerned with shania, blatantly varying my pfr size based on my hand strength seems pretty awful, so I just try and have a standard raise for each blind level and stack size that I'll only change in specific situations.

Edit: And here that's 70.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you're gonna raise it preflop, make it 80.

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought pot sized or 4x was the standard open for 100bbs+ deep. And if our edge comes from abusing them in position or whatever, don't we want the pot to be bigger so that we gain more when they miss the flop and fold to our cb? Also, our edge also comes from the fact that we aren't going to overplay top pair, but they likely will. We wanna build the pot for when we flop two pair, trips, or a straight, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely not that simple. You're actually making an argument for keeping the pot small preflop because you're arguing that our edge comes from how big stacks--i.e., how big they are relative to the pot.

Preflop raise size is really complicated, and if you gave me this hand in a total vacuum, I'd 3x it definitely. However, there are lots of other hands that I'd want to 3.5-4x here, and while I'm generally not concerned with shania, blatantly varying my pfr size based on my hand strength seems pretty awful, so I just try and have a standard raise for each blind level and stack size that I'll only change in specific situations.

Edit: And here that's 70.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess i have no idea what i'm talking about really. nvm
Old 06-30-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
omg you can get by raising 74o here pf--- honestly not raising here is just wrong. No it isn't style, it's the fact that you should play relentlessly loose from the button. It is very easy to turn a profit with a lot of hands in tournaments from position. A huge reason why is because you almost never get 3bet light vs standard tournament players.

As for the hand- i like folding the turn.

As for Dave D's post, well you are terribly wrong.
"That said, you seemed to imply that you thought there was a good chance your hand was no good on that turn or river. If thats the case, you want to maximize FE right?"

What are you even talking about? Who wants to maximize folding equity here, we aren't freakin bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I vehemently agree with everything in this post. except just regular agree with folding the turn, no vehemence.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:10 PM

Well f u guys I'm taking my ball and going home, he bluffed turn with AT and then decided TP was good on the river after checking and timebanking to like 40 secs.

But yeah, still think turn is super close and might be a fold.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:37 PM

With Ace of Clubs?
Old 07-05-2007, 12:01 AM

I think turn is fold. But I like the river bet, he has a dumbly played overpair here, and sometimes a small flush that chickens out.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh come on.. preflop is fine. He's button with 75o.

Just fold the turn to the c/r. You're totally [censored] when he does that.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. As played check the river for sure. I also agree with NoahSD preflop is fine if you know how to play deepstack it is standard.