Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-29-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Futurama: \"Bender\'s Big Score\" + other movies/\"new\" episodes

I greatly enjoy a show having jokes fly over my head because I'm not educated enough. That's not some kind of arrogant "I'm so smart I get everything" bit, I'm completely and totally lost by any math more advanced than trigonometry. You don't need to make a very intelligent joke at all to leave me behind.

But the typical show treats the audience like they are goddamn morons, and the only time they are willing to get "dense" is in references to themselves or pop culture.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I greatly enjoy a show having jokes fly over my head because I'm not educated enough. That's not some kind of arrogant "I'm so smart I get everything" bit, I'm completely and totally lost by any math more advanced than trigonometry. You don't need to make a very intelligent joke at all to leave me behind.

But the typical show treats the audience like they are goddamn morons, and the only time they are willing to get "dense" is in references to themselves or pop culture.

[/ QUOTE ]

The nice things about these type of jokes are they aren't obvious at all, so if you don't get them and think they are funny, you probably don't realize they're even there so you don't even realize you missed something
Old 11-29-2007, 06:38 PM

Just watched it and thought it was amazing. Surprised at all the hate here. CMI is spot on about the prevalent use of recurring characters in the show (this is a GOOD thing btw), especially considering this is really four episodes in one. Blasphemy to compare it to the new Family Guy, which is unfunny and completely different from the original seasons, unlike this, which basically was no better or worse than the show. Yes, some of the lines fell flat, but this always was the case, and like always, was overrided by the overall hilarity of the dialogue.

When Hermes asked the Professor if he could wire him to the ship, I was disappointed that he didn't reply with something like, "Of course, look at all the many lengths of wire I can use!"
Old 11-29-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...truth be told, I had no idea until I read this article in 'Wired' about Futurama, "The Geekiest Show on TV" which describes some of the math jokes in the show's history and the math geeks who write it. It's a good read, even though I still don't really get the joke here, though I do appreciate that it's a cab number and is a joke about Taxicab numbers, so I guess that's a start.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is an example of a spot where its not so much a joke as a reference that nerds like to see.

Also, a semi interesting/joking 'paradox' (if you can call it that) comes from the search for the first uninteresting number: as soon as you find it, it becomes interesting, in that it is the first uninteresting number. As such, no number can be called uninteresting.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:45 PM

THAT WAS GREAT!
Old 11-29-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing that I did find disappointing that's already been mentioned here is that it seemingly completely left out the final episode, the Fry/Leela relationship is as stuck as ever at the start of the movie, and Leela goes on the date without a second thought to Fry.
I know the ending seems to kind of twist this around, I still found it sort of irritating

[/ QUOTE ]
In several of the final episodes besides the last one the ending scene gave an indication that their relationship would change (the why of fry, the sting) without any difference or reference in the next episode, so it's not surprising that they did the same thing here.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:55 PM

Being this nerdy is tilting me, but those are 3 of the last 9 episodes and the intervening episodes don't have any romantic stuff at all(two are Bender episodes, one is 300 Big Boys, one is the Star Trek episode).

The plot arc from The Why of Fry->The Sting->Devil's Hands was admittedly an attempt from writers who knew the show was ending to accelerate the Fry/Leela romance subplot.

The movie threw their relationship right back to Season 2.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:23 PM

Even using just the romantic episodes shows that there wasn't a strong sense of continuity in the first place. The Farnsworth Paradox was released after the first two and shows him still struggling to get a date with her, after they already made out and he basically saved her life. Also, in the episodes in between, you'd think there would be some mention of their relationship within the dialogue, even if it wasn't a main part of the plot.

In the movie, after the opening and the re-introductions, they jumped into the Lars storyline almost right away, so it wasn't clear what their current state was. But based on how strong his emotions and feelings for her were portrayed throughout the movie, I'd say it's far closer to just being a continuation of their season 5 strategy than a regression to season 2.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:05 AM

Yep,

It was disappointing. Only the last part was ok.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:02 AM

No love for decapitated Hermes saying "Without my body I'm a nobody"?