Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Div III: 2 vs. 7
Escape From Alcatraz 74 94.87%
Joe Kidd 4 5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2007, 08:51 PM

Default Another \"who gets kicked in the nutz\"

Playing at Resorts in Indiana when this happened. Let me know who should get the kick in the nuts (you can pick multiple people).

An inexperienced player who doesn't know the rules to live play is at the river with another opponent. He checks and his opponent checks, and opponent turns over a 2 (keeps his other card face down). There was a deuce on board however the inexperienced player did not realize this, so the inexperienced player turns over a queen from his hand (keeping the other one face down), thinking all he needs is the queen high to be good. It is then pointed out that his opponent has a pair, and the inexperienced player tries to flip up his cards but only the already exsposed queen gets flipped up, and both cards end up in the middle.

At this point, the dealer touches the cards, brings them towards the middle of the table, but does not let them touch the muck. The inexperienced player says "Go ahead dealer, turn over the other one." she replies that she cannot, and at this point, her hand is precariously close to the muck, so I (I am not in the hand) tell him "Flip up your cards NOW before she mucks them." He flips them up (showing pocket queens FTW) and the opponent goes ballistic. Floor is called over. After hearing the story, floor rules that queens are dead because dealer touched the cards (he said dealer's hand is part of the muck). Opponent is awarded the pot.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Another \"who gets kicked in the nutz\"

I have not played many live hours, less than 50 in my life, but I cant ever imagine doing what the guy with Queens did. Flip over both cards and get it over with.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:43 PM

Horrible floor decision - definitely not "in the best interests of the game". The inexperienced player obviously intended to show his cards and they are easily identifiable - why should they not play?

So the "magic muck" has now been extended to the dealer's hands? That's retarded. Usually when a winning hand is shown, the dealer will take the cards (face-up) and place them next to the board so everyone can see what won. Does that mean that she can't touch them until every other hand is the in the muck? Can I now angle-shoot by saying "i can't see those cards" and then when the dealer brings them over to me, I say "hah! They're in the muck now! I win!"
Old 07-07-2007, 09:53 PM

all these d'bags, i hate these games of I'm gonna turn over one card at a time. OP gets a kitn for posting this and getting me flamed up before I go out to the bar. j/k, nh.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:24 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

Villian for being stupid and only showing one card. Dealer for not telling the new guy to show both cards. It is not in the best interests of the game to let a potential angleshooter succeed in stealing a pot from an inexperienced player.

New guy gets a kick in the nuts but with kicker must wear soft fuzzy bunny slippers to cushion the blow.

Floor get a double kick in the nuts with steel toe shoes for being an idiot.

Op is fine because this is a showdown and the action is over.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No this is the wrong reason. A player may not tell another player to table his hand just because it is showdown. However OP doesn't get a kick in the nuts here because he didn't speak until it was clear that the player was trying to table his hand.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:15 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No this is the wrong reason. A player may not tell another player to table his hand just because it is showdown. However OP doesn't get a kick in the nuts here because he didn't speak until it was clear that the player was trying to table his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respectfully disagree because the OP believes the player to be new or inexperienced and the other option of letting the angleshooter screw the new guy is worse.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:20 AM

how is the other guy angleshooting? he showed a pair and was too embarrassed to show the other card unless he really needed to
Old 07-08-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how is the other guy angleshooting? he showed a pair and was too embarrassed to show the other card unless he really needed to

[/ QUOTE ]

He is playing in Indiana and you have to show both hole cards to be awarded the pot. I assume from the OP that the Villian is more experienced than the new guy so it is safe to assume the Villian knows he has to show both hole cards.

[ QUOTE ]
He flips them up (showing pocket queens FTW) and the opponent goes ballistic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone that goes ballistic and trys to get the best hand rulled dead at the showdown is an angleshooter. That is why the floor deserves a double with steel toed shoes becase he let the angleshooter prevail.

The floor has an obligation to do what is best for the game. Arbitrary rules aside, the floor's decision must be what is best for the game. No way letting this angleshooter prevail is good for the game so the floor in the OP is guilty of two infractions.

One, only a retard would believe that the dealer's hand is part of the muck, as a matter of fact, there is nothing magical about the muck that automatically kills a hand. If there is a mistake and the cards are easily retrievable, they can be pulled from the muck.

Two, the floor failed to rule in a manner that was best for the game. A floorperson can not allow angleshooters to prevail, it will ruin his cardroom and people will go play elsewhere.

Ps. The dealers at Caesar's IN won't turn your cards over for you (unless you have a disability or other unsual circumstance)and it has nothing to do with your hand being live or dead.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:34 AM

I voted for everyone to get a KITN. But OP gets a suspended sentence, because his heart was in the right place. Newb player gets a light KITN.

Floor is sentenced to the Seventh Circle of Hell, where the Iron Sheik is "loading up the boot", and he never gets tired.