Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-28-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: some nuts a gonna get kicked

Yeah, you have a point about trying to get people involved in a hand to be quiet... the best is when someone's about to fold, says, "well, I can't beat your straight or your boat, especially not with four flush cards out there," and then folds. Dude, STFU. "But I was in the hand, I can say what I want!" For those of a hand completely, it's a lot easier to get them to stop, and they usually feel sheepish and apologize. But still, some of my most ridiculous confrontations have come when I've tried to politely get someone who's in a hand to stop talking about a it, and s/he says something like, "I was just saying there was a flush out there..." Uh, yes, exactly, that's not what you're supposed to do. The contrarian attitude (hey, my spellchecker doesn't like it either... stupid Camino) is what gets the floor over, and it's a big headache and nobody likes it. Thankfully, most people just say "ok" and that's that.

So yeah, all of you, the next time a dealer says something to try to get people to act in line, and it's something that won't affect your EV, please back the dealer. It goes a very long way to control the people who feel anybody in any position of "authority" is automatically a bad person and worth challenging. And if something like this is going on and the dealer isn't doing anything and you're not in the hand, say something to the dealer! It's a very delicate balance, and can spiral out of control so quickly sometimes, and often it's not worth getting involved if the table seems ok with it. That doesn't mean I don't get involved, but it's often a big hassle. It's always easier when a player complains first.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Player out of line, Dealer asleep at the wheel

Simply ask the player to please not talk about the cards while the hand is in progress.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thankfully, most people just say "ok" and that's that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in my part of the world. If this were true, my above post would be unwarranted.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All I'm saying is, next time a dealer asks a player to stop talking about the hand, and the yapper or some by-stander starts giving the dealer a hard time about it, show the dealer that you have his back! Take some of the heat for the dealer.

If the dealer has to take all the heat, don't hold your breath.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree completely with this.

If anybody gives the dealer heat for trying to enforce the One Plater to a Hand rule, I will always say something in support of the dealer. And I will also ask the player if he wants to discuss it further with the Floor.

Unless of course I am the violator. Then I sheepishly apologize and pretend I am in a SouthWest airlines commercial.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Simply ask the player to please not talk about the cards while the hand is in progress.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-29-2007, 05:59 AM

This thread has some very good posts in it.

I have the same trouble with players who have folded, then subsequently react to the board cards, giving away that the flop or the turn or the river or all the above would have hit their pocket cards in some way.

Part of the trouble with one particular guy is that he brings himself, and often his daughter and son, every week to a tournament that is typically only 2 tables total. This is one of those games where everyone is used to playing with everyone else, and there is a tremendous amount of soft-playing, mainly when a hand gets down to 2-handed.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The first time jerk opens mouth during hand I don't let it slide. I have a friggin' **** fit all over the dealer and schmuckola-boy by the time it got as far as you let it go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand.
The reason he isn't speaking is because then it will be even more obvious that the regular is correct.
He was kind of trapped and was hoping the dealer would do something or that the regular would show any amount of tact.
Andy Fox's suggestion that you can just tell him not to discuss the hands is okay but it still starts to look like you've got it even more.
And, of course, I think OP was just as surprised as everyone that he continued to do it throughout the hand and not just the one time considering that he should know better.

I kind of blasted somebody else's post on here because I thought he unnecessarily started confrontations with players at the table. It was about the guy who tipped $3 in a $2k pot.
But in this situation I'm kind of sure I would consider 'starting something'. Holy crap this would irritate me and bring me to the point of almost wanting to fight the guy.
There's a very good chance it would bring an extremely rude, "WTF? STFU during the hand [censored]" out of me or something like that.
Maybe regular is trying to tilt me or something. There's a chance that breaking all 1-person-to-hand rules and telling some fish who I'm trying to stack to slow down or stop betting into me would accomplish said goal of tilting me.

Seriously, this is absolutely horrible.

Dealer should definitely be doing something here. And most dealers do when it even gets close to that.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe regular is trying to win more money or something. There's a chance that breaking all 1-person-to-hand rules and telling some fish who I'm trying to stack to slow down or stop betting into me would accomplish said goal of leaving the fish with some money for the regular to have a chance to subsequently win
Old 11-29-2007, 01:16 PM

seems a decent theory.
even more reason why the dealer should be reprimanding him and enforcing the rules of the game.

The way the OP described it I'm practically surprised the prick didn't go diving across the table to physically shove the chips back to the drunk.
All that "you better stop betting...he's got you beat" kind of crap is SO horrible.

Way worse imo than the guy who tells everyone that there's a 4-flush on the board or the guy who reacts to every flop that WOULD have given him a monster.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the dealer supposed to do? Hit him in the head with a shovel?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I see your point. That is the only logical alternative to not saying anything at all. There's really no other option I can think of beside hitting the guy with an actual shovel.

Idiot.