Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Majoring in physics

do it... you can always change after undergrad anyways, and many employers will be impressed.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone, very helpful.

[ QUOTE ]
While I agree with what has already been written, a physics degree can provide a platform from which you can enter many different fields.

[/ QUOTE ]

What fields? If i get a physics degree and decide not to go to grad school am i going to end up the manager at starbucks?

At this point in time im also considering engineering, most likely civil. I guess i can always start out by taking the physics and math needed for both and decide in a year or so.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:36 PM

Yes, you should be able to get a physics degree without killing yourself. There is an enormous gap between doing the HW, getting reasonable grades, getting the degree, etc. and having your own original ideas that propagate through the physics community.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is an enormous gap between doing the HW, getting reasonable grades, getting the degree, etc. and having your own original ideas that propagate through the physics community.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand this completely. I have no unrealistic dreams of becoming some world renowned physicist, i just really enjoy the physics i have taken so far. I think some of you may be too intelligent and mathmatically inclined to realize that a physics degree is gonna be really arduous for a person such as myself.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is an enormous gap between doing the HW, getting reasonable grades, getting the degree, etc. and having your own original ideas that propagate through the physics community.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand this completely. I have no unrealistic dreams of becoming some world renowned physicist, i just really enjoy the physics i have taken so far. I think some of you may be too intelligent and mathmatically inclined to realize that a physics degree is gonna be really arduous for a person such as myself.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you're probably underestimating yourself. If you like it and want to learn it badly enough, and you're a reasonably smart fellow, you should be able to do it. The brain is a remarkably flexible thing -- work it enough in new directions and you can become more capable than you ever thought possible. This is one of the problems with IQ tests -- they are popularly represented as a kind of fixed limitation on what you'll be able to accomplish, when this really isn't the case (unless you've got some genuine physical handicap).
Old 09-09-2007, 05:32 PM

I say major in physics.

At the engineering companies where I've worked, they hire physicists just as readily as engineers. In addition, an engineering professor of mine told me that he prefers hiring physicists because they think more.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:10 PM

do it man. i did, and .. oh, yeah..

do it anyway though, for real.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:20 PM

How often does what you do as an undergrad really matter, in terms of your major? As long as you're doing something with some teeth, I'd imagine you'll have decent flexibility when you're done.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I say major in physics.

At the engineering companies where I've worked, they hire physicists just as readily as engineers. In addition, an engineering professor of mine told me that he prefers hiring physicists because they think more.

[/ QUOTE ]

They hire physicists, or people who majored in physics?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:53 PM

As an academic counselor and professor I always advise students to major in the subject that most interests them. If you are intelligent enough to handle the material your interest in the subject will serve you well.