Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Starting out with $100 - advice needed

[ QUOTE ]
If you know how to play, split pot games like O8 and Stud8 offer high win rates relative to their variance, particularly when you play SNGs. Yes, suckouts happen, but very often it is just for half of the pot, and you can make a killing when you are the only one going for low when you are playing several people who think (J8)J or QQ85 are good hands, and who draw to lows that aren't close to the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's say you're playing limit O/8 and you have a wrap around draw while holding AA23 on this board:

Flop: 4 5 K
Turn: 3
River: 4

...and someone calls your raises on all streets but a moron stays in with two pair and fills up on the river. You split the pot and either lose to the rake or make minimal profit. This occurs especially in Omaha 8/b which is a game of the nuts. Certainly there is the occassional scoop, but if you're here to tell me that split pot games are more profitable than NLHE, I can't buy into that line of thinking. Show me someone's PT Omaha stats that are over 2BB/100 over a sample size of 20,000 - 30,000 hands (besides Jethro [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). I think they'll be few and far between. Even in Stud/8 it's difficult to get to 4BB/100 at the micro limits, though I managed to do it over about 12,000 hands.

But then again...you never said split pot games were more profitable. You said you can make a killing against the donks that think cards like QQ85 or similar holdings give them the opportunity to play more hands. I'm not hating on SNGs. I play them occassionally and enjoy them. I just like cash games better and think they're more profitable. I have been successful in O/8 (pot limit) and Stud/8 SNGs, so I'll give you that. However, I think the split pot cash games at the micro-limits are a waste of time.

AC