Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 02:50 AM

Default Re: At Work: Women Against Women

First, I think men notice a woman being a bully more than they notice a man being a bully, irrespective of who that person is being a bully too. I mean, in your original example, I'm sure your wife has encountered Alpha males who like to dominate all other males - it's just not commented on because this is assumed to be more typical male behavior.

Second, a woman has often had to fight for a position of power, and there is an element of 'if I've had it hard I don't see why you should have it any easier'.

Third, the corporate environment attracts strong women. There seems a lot less butting of heads in female dominated careers.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:18 AM

This happens in medicine as well. Female nurses are terrible to female doctors- much nicer to men. I also feel that female doctors have to get into pissing contests about being super-anal and super on top of things, because if they are more laid back they will be viewed as weak; which does not apply nearly as much to the male doctors.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:13 PM

A couple of counterarguemnts to what's been said so far:

1. I really don't see this sort of behavior in men. Sure, there are alpha males who want other to be submissive to them, but they don't drive out every other guy in the office, not that that would be an option. Guys have a way of doing it that forms a team, some women seem to be lacking in that ability.

2. Guys that dominate seem to demand that everyone submit to them. Women rarely demand the men be submissive or disappear, only other women. Why?

3. There does seem to be some biological connection for male attention in this behavior. I'm going to have to look and see if anyone's ever studied it. If they haven't, here's a great research area for some grad student.

Note: A quick search of Google reveals it has a name, Queen Bee Syndrome, but doesn't seem too well studied in a serious way, although anecdotally, everyone recognizes it.

3. It's definitely not culture dependent, as it's noted in articles from Spain, Africa, and India.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:31 PM

Reminds me of a few months ago when my supervisor (male) was going to hire a female to do a similar job as myself (and 3 other males and 1 old female), and the receptionist, and secretary (24 & 21 years old respectively), begged my supervisor not to hire the girl (and of course he submitted to them because he's weak and hired this dude who sucks at the job).

WWWWTTTTFFFF!?!?!?!?!? NICE. They CERTAINLY didn't want a young, even average looking, professional to have to "compete" with. Not that it would have possibly helped our company's bottom line or anything...that just doesn't matter to these girls.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This happens in medicine as well. Female nurses are terrible to female doctors- much nicer to men. I also feel that female doctors have to get into pissing contests about being super-anal and super on top of things, because if they are more laid back they will be viewed as weak; which does not apply nearly as much to the male doctors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am curious if you have seen this first hand.

I have been nursing for 12 years and never have seen this. I would say the ratio of of male to female doctors that I work with is equal. (I work in OB and pediatrics)
Yes, occasionally there are personalities that do not mesh but it is not based on gender. Overall, at least in my experience, there has been a great balance between professional and social interaction between the nursing staff and physicians.
Maybe my situation is unusual.

I will say that when I came out of school we were told, "Nurses eat their young". Basically stating you really had to prove yourself to the established nursing staff. I never ran into it personally but I know a few who had.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:39 PM

Mrs. Utah,

I have definitely seen this first hand. I was ALWAYS treated much better as a physician than my female colleagues. I think your situation is not the norm because you work in OB and peds, which are likely to have more female physicians. Also, it is definitely true that a lot (not all, but a significant number) are super-anal/bitchy because they have a chip on their shoulder that men don't have.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mrs. Utah,

I have definitely seen this first hand. I was ALWAYS treated much better as a physician than my female colleagues. I think your situation is not the norm because you work in OB and peds, which are likely to have more female physicians. Also, it is definitely true that a lot (not all, but a significant number) are super-anal/bitchy because they have a chip on their shoulder that men don't have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this so interesting because I have never seen it, or maybe never noticed it. I agree that generally OB and peds are more heavily weighted in women but I do work with a pretty even mix.
The male docs are more likely to hang around the desk and be very chatty whereas the female docs will leave or head to a call room. At times the majority of my interaction is over the phone.
I will say I have run into a handful of female physicians that seem to have that "chip" on their shoulder.

I will have to start asking the physicians that I work with what they have run across, I am very curious.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:03 AM

The VA nursing leadership told the head of Medicine there that they in particular were tougher on the female residents and interns. My female coworkers seemed to have run ins with nurses who never gave me problems. I've seen female interns and nurses get into altercations about petty crap that I doubt I would have gotten involved with. I think it's pretty well recognized, at least around here.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:14 AM

This only proves what women and education don't mix! they belong at home taking care of children like the Lord intended.

The moment a woman gets a little power/education she becomes competitive. The moment a woman becomes competitive is the moment she stops being a woman and becomes more like a man.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This only proves what women and education don't mix! they belong at home taking care of children like the Lord intended.

The moment a woman gets a little power/education she becomes competitive. The moment a woman becomes competitive is the moment she stops being a woman and becomes more like a man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Women know your limits!