Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 03:11 AM

Default Need some help starting up a poker room

Hello 2+2. Just a long time lurker coming out of the shadows.

For a few months a good friend of mine has been interested in starting a cardroom. It always seemed like a good idea, yet we we never took the initiative because of our schedules.

As luck would have it, the owners of a local billiard hall we frequent found out we were poker players and approached us about starting up a game in their top floor. The space would allow for 2 tables at most, and would be a small operation, from which we'd give the owners $150 a night.

I frequent many underground rooms, but have no experience starting one of my own. I am very enthusiastic about doing this, as we have very many people in the area who love poker as well as a good demographic of non-players who frequent the billiard hall who could play casually.

I want to run things the best way possible, and that includes being secure, discreet, and professional. This would be a nightly game with max 18 players at a time.

I have a budget of about $2000 to dedicate to startup costs, and I am asking all of you for input as to what is most important to consider when opening up a room. Thanks for reading.

Additional Info:
I have been going through tons of websites looking for the right kind of chip I should get, comparing brands, looks, clay vs. composite vs. composite with inlays vs. plastics vs. ceramics. Its kind of overwhelming because I want nice chips but I dont want to spend a fortune...
Any advice on the matter, particularly based on personal experience, would be much appreciated.
My friend and I would be handling the cash, chips, and dealing. On days we cannot make it, there is no game.
We are thinking of charging 10% rake up to $3, which is fairly cheap, however, we wont be providing many freebies other than some snacks. Is the Royal Flush/Bad Beat Jackpot a good idea to attract players (This would increase the rake by $1)
Old 10-05-2007, 04:00 AM

Default Re: Need some help starting up a poker room

wow this is a great idea

post on a public forum asking for advice on starting up an illegal poker room

pure genius
Old 10-05-2007, 04:07 AM

If you are going to start an underground game dont do it in a bar for god sakes. You are just asking to get caught. Do it at a private residence. If its illegal you want to cater to people who you either know or is a legit friend of someone you know. Since it will only be 18 max a night it is easier and best if you know who those 18 are.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:16 AM

notice i did not mention where it would be located. As far as the players go, many of them would be friends and people we already know. Ideally we would want to have it in a private location, but right now we dont have those kinds of funds. This will likely be a small 1/2 nl game lasting 5 hours running 2-3 days a week. Not exactly a full fledged poker club, more like a private game.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do it at a private residence, so that the cops can use "asset forfeiture" laws when they charge you as an organized crime gambling operation, and someone you know and love can lose their house.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-05-2007, 08:56 AM

In before ....
Old 10-05-2007, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello 2+2. Just a long time lurker coming out of the shadows.

For a few months a good friend of mine has been interested in starting a cardroom. It always seemed like a good idea, yet we we never took the initiative because of the legality of a poker room .

As luck would have it, the owners of a local billiard hall we frequent found out we were poker players and approached us about starting up a game in their top floor. The space would allow for 2 tables at most, and would be a small operation, from which we'd give the owners $150 a night.

I frequent many underground rooms, but have no experience starting one of my own. I am very enthusiastic about doing this, as we have very many people in the area who love poker as well as a good demographic of non-players who frequent the billiard hall who could play casually.

I want to run things the best way possible, and that includes being secure, discreet, and professional. This would be a nightly game with max 18 players at a time.

I have a budget of about $2000 to dedicate to startup costs, and I am asking all of you for input as to what is most important to consider when opening up a room. Thanks for reading.

Additional Info:
I have been going through tons of websites looking for the right kind of chip I should get, comparing brands, looks, clay vs. composite vs. composite with inlays vs. plastics vs. ceramics. Its kind of overwhelming because I want nice chips but I dont want to spend a fortune...
Any advice on the matter, particularly based on personal experience, would be much appreciated.
My friend and I would be handling the cash, chips, and dealing. On days we cannot make it, there is no game.
We are thinking of charging 10% rake up to $3, which is fairly cheap, however, we wont be providing many freebies other than some snacks. Is the Royal Flush/Bad Beat Jackpot a good idea to attract players (This would increase the rake by $1)

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you gave any thought to the legal ramifications behind this?
Old 10-05-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to start an underground game dont do it in a bar for god sakes. You are just asking to get caught. Do it at a private residence.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the worst advice you can give. While a bar may not be the ideal location, a private residence is the worst idea. Lets invite people (some of whom are degenerate gamblers, some of whom are not going to be the cleanest, or nicest, or most honest people) into somebodies private residence.

most of the clubs I played in were actually rented out store fronts claiming to be "social clubs". I have played in vacant businesses, and in one case a house which was not anyones residence it was used exclusively for poker.

If you are going to be robbed, do you want the robbery at home or somewhere else. If there is going to be a fight do you want it in your house or in the backroom of a bowling alley, if you are going to have a visit form the police do you want it in your house or in your "social club"

When you cater to only people you know its not underground game its a hiome game, he wants to run a profit making business here and that means he is going to have to wider player base than a home game. Sure you don't want have a situation where everyone in town knows about the game, but you will need for people more than just your friends and "Their legit" friends. You will need your friend's friend's acquaintances who play poker.

What you seem to be advising is to run a home game but charge a rake.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:28 AM

Guys, answer his question. He's obviously an adult who has been to underground rooms and knows the risks, let the legal issues be his business.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:37 AM

you should clearly be starting this in your parents basement.