Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Borgata 5/10 and 10/20 NL developments

You dont understand how cash game poker works or how EV works in a cash game. Negreanu has NO advantage over the shortstacks just because he bought in for 100k.
__________________________________________________ ____

Now if we say they have to sit at the table until one person has all the money. He has an advantage. I remember when UB had the no max tables. Those were always amusing to sit in with 1k or more while the blinds were 1/2 cent or 5/10 cent.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:10 AM

you guys are crazy. it's like the time on "high stakes poker" when brad booth bought in for a coooool million. he had nothing and phil ivey had pocket kings, he just shoved all-in with his massive stack and ivey had to fold. prima facie evidence right there.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

you guys are crazy. it's like the time on "high stakes poker" when brad booth bought in for a coooool million. he had nothing and phil ivey had pocket kings, he just shoved all-in with his massive stack and ivey had to fold. prima facie evidence right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Mike...this is the absolute perfect example...
Old 10-24-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, well, the main thing is that I remember Daniel Negreanu once bought into the Wynn 5/10NL for $100,000 and was unbeatable..I mean it wasn't even fair...how is a $1,000 stack going to even have a chance when Negreanu can put them all in with the flick of a wrist or wave of a hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

You dont understand how cash game poker works or how EV works in a cash game. Negreanu has NO advantage over the shortstacks just because he bought in for 100k.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you don't understand how sarcasm works
Old 10-24-2007, 11:12 AM

Daniel Negreanu an I both go to the Wynn one night. We both bring 100k with us in our pocket. We both end up at the same 5/10 table but Daniel buys in for his entire 100k bankroll for the night, and I only put 1k on the table leaving me with 99k in my pocket. The very first hand we get mixed up with each other and he ends up going all in preflop. Now, for those who think a big stack can bully the 'short' stacks in cash game poker, tell me what Daniel's additional 99k on the table is doing? Would I be more likely to fold KK-QQ here than vs. an 'average' stack?

a dealer and I got into an arguement about this the other day, he stated that if I went to the 10/25 table and 'short' stacked a 1k buyin I would get eaten alive, because even though I could get it allin preflop with AA they wouldn't hesitate to call me with 4,5 because 1k is nothing to them. lol dealer.... lol.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Damn, I was thinking about taking a shot at short-stacking the 5/10 NL next time I was up there. Were others trying this and annoying the regulars?

[/ QUOTE ]

YES and YES
Old 10-24-2007, 11:54 AM

I haven't seen too many people SS the 5/10 game but I play mostly on weekends. I don't think this represents any change to the min anyway amirite?

The 10/20 cap sounds interesting. I may have to check that out if it's going this weekend. I do agree though, I don't see how you can expect to keep a 10/20 & 10/25 game going for any length of time.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:08 PM

5/10 was 300-1500, now 500-2000.

And at least now I know what you look like, will be easier to find a soft game now
Old 10-24-2007, 12:17 PM

heehee.....you left that game pretty healthy right? I was gone not too long after you. had the other deep stack on my left and neither of us wanted to tangle. The gambling at the table got pretty wild after you left too.

GL will say hi if I see ya there.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:38 PM

The issue is not whether you're more likely to lay down QQ-KK, it is all the other hands that you would normally play if you had a healthy stack and were playing aggressively, and not just sitting waiting for one of three-four starting hands (QQ-AA, AK). So you're the short stack, will you risk raising in late position with suited connectors with big stacks and agressive players at the table? How about firing a couple of bullets on a bluff? What about seeing the flop with small pairs in raised pots with a couple of people? With a short stack, miss your set on the flop 3-4 times, and you're crippled. Then what? With a healthy stack, it's not a problem. If all you ever do whenever you play (regardless of your stack) is sit and wait for monsters preflop, you're not playing good NL poker to begin with. Having a big stack allows for more creative and flexible play.

One final observation - let's say you do pick up AA, and get it all in preflop with a short stack. At an loose, agressive table, you may well get called by 2-4 people. How good are your aces in this situation versus the situation where you have a big stack, and isolate a single player, using your stack size to shut others out of the pot? I'd take the later any day.

[ QUOTE ]
Daniel Negreanu an I both go to the Wynn one night. We both bring 100k with us in our pocket. We both end up at the same 5/10 table but Daniel buys in for his entire 100k bankroll for the night, and I only put 1k on the table leaving me with 99k in my pocket. The very first hand we get mixed up with each other and he ends up going all in preflop. Now, for those who think a big stack can bully the 'short' stacks in cash game poker, tell me what Daniel's additional 99k on the table is doing? Would I be more likely to fold KK-QQ here than vs. an 'average' stack?

a dealer and I got into an arguement about this the other day, he stated that if I went to the 10/25 table and 'short' stacked a 1k buyin I would get eaten alive, because even though I could get it allin preflop with AA they wouldn't hesitate to call me with 4,5 because 1k is nothing to them. lol dealer.... lol.

[/ QUOTE ]