Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Re: ***The Buick***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tup, is the NCAA even televised anywhere?

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably not, no.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes it is, think it's usually on The Golf Channel. Seems as though I saw the women on TV this year.

BO
Old 08-06-2007, 06:45 PM

BO,

Yeah you're probably right, mine was mostly a joke response w/r/t the time Rory beat Tiger way back when. In this day and age and with the Golf Channel I'm sure they are, but in the early 90s when Phil was playing at ASU, I went out to watch him and there wasn't a camera in sight.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BO,

Yeah you're probably right, mine was mostly a joke response w/r/t the time Rory beat Tiger way back when. In this day and age and with the Golf Channel I'm sure they are, but in the early 90s when Phil was playing at ASU, I went out to watch him and there wasn't a camera in sight.

[/ QUOTE ]
I actually have the tape of the only NCAA that Phil didn't win, the year at Poppy Hills when Warren Schutte was the victor. Just an hour long recorded broadcast.

Played against Phil quite a few times in college as we are the same age. He won the majority of the time, but not all! LOL

Probably the best Golf Channel broadcast of the year is Q school IMO.

BO
Old 08-07-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Played against Phil quite a few times in college as we are the same age. He won the majority of the time, but not all! LOL

Probably the best Golf Channel broadcast of the year is Q school IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I really enjoy the Q school stuff - so much pressure on the line, and serious golf in early December during the silly season is a very welcome change (I suppose for people in crappy climates who can't golf in December that it's also nice to watch it on TV).

I grew up competing with Phil which is the main reason I would go out and follow him, usually walking around with his family since I knew them from staying at his parents' house for Junior World. God ASU was so ridiculously good back then - I had a friend who was about a +2 who made the team but never got into a single match, he just wasn't good enough. He transferred to a JuCo after his freshman year.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
God ASU was so ridiculously good back then - I had a friend who was about a +2 who made the team but never got into a single match, he just wasn't good enough. He transferred to a JuCo after his freshman year.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not kidding. A day or two after Phil's U.S. Am victory at Cherry Hills, we had our first tournament of the year north of Denver close to the Wyoming border. ASU was there. In the 2nd round Phil shoots 70, and in the standard play 5 count 4 format, ASU drops that score!

Jim Lemon, Per Ulrik Johansson, and Brett Dean were also on that team. This was also the time U of A fielded a similarly talented team featuring Jim Furyk and Manny Zerman.

BO
Old 08-07-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jim Lemon, Per Ulrik Johansson, and Brett Dean were also on that team. This was also the time U of A fielded a similarly talented team featuring Jim Furyk and Manny Zerman.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I remember those guys. Not sure what happened to Lemon, he was the best of the bunch IIRC.

Phil was at ASU from 1989-1992. Link to results. That was during a sick run for the team nationally - 5th, 1st, 3rd, 2nd.

Steve Loy was kind of a prick though. I remember playing in a HS state one year and he was out watching, following my group around in a cart because he was scouting one of the other guys and kind of acting like he owned the place. He went up to my golf coach at some point and stuck out his hand and said "Coach Loy", like my coach is supposed to know who the hell he was (he did actually). My coach just stuck his hand out annoyed and said "Coach Brewer". Minor pwnage, but you obv had to be there.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:38 PM

What happened with Brett Dean? I saw his name a few years ago up on some leaderboard for a local event or something but didn't know what he was up to. He was one of the reasons I figured out I had no talent for the game which is why I ask. He just destroyed me in a junior match play tournament. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What happened with Brett Dean? I saw his name a few years ago up on some leaderboard for a local event or something but didn't know what he was up to. He was one of the reasons I figured out I had no talent for the game which is why I ask. He just destroyed me in a junior match play tournament. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell 'em the Brandle Chamblee story. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If its the Brandt Jobe one they are tied in. I figured out quickly how bad I was. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If its the Brandt Jobe one they are tied in. I figured out quickly how bad I was. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cliff Notes: A young HDPM plays round of his life in tourney v Brand-Somebody. Loses badly. Moral: These Guys Were Good long before they got on Tour. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]