Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 12:12 AM

Default Battle Royale,,,anybody see the movie?

I recently finished the book, extremely entertaining. For those of you that dont know, it was a Japanese best seller recently translated into English. The premise is each year a Jr High class is chosen for the "Program". If chosen, the students are placed in an isolated area, this time it happens to be an island. Theyre each given different weapons and most fight to the death until there is one survivor. Again very entertaining.

Reason for the post, I was wondering if anybody saw the movie. Curious if it follows the book, and basically what you thought overall.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Battle Royale,,,anybody see the movie?

I haven't read the book, but the movie is solid. A great premise with some well-executed action. Like much of Japanese cinema, it gets a bit too melodramatic for me in spots, but overall it's worth checking out. Back when I saw it it was very difficult to find a copy of Battle Royale on R1 (North American) DVD. I don't know if that's changed, but if it hasn't you can rent an all region DVD from Greencine.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:38 AM

also haven't read the book, but i'm sure you'll enjoy the movie. it's pretty good, but could've been absolutely amazing with a few minor changes.

edit: i remember hearing that hollywood is doing a remake which will likely be completely wretched.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:40 AM

Hey thanks. Im not too familiar with Dvd restrictions (i Heard this was banned in NA), however I see that I can buy it on Amazon, the directors cut, is this the one I should be getting?
Old 05-08-2007, 12:41 AM

yes, get the director's cut.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:55 AM

The movie is crap...i watched it with interest for the first 15 minutes and then was laughing my ass off. As you already know having read the book...the premise is interesting, but once that starts it just repeats itself over and over. In fact it got so annoying hearing them whine, I began to fast forward.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
edit: i remember hearing that hollywood is doing a remake which will likely be completely wretched.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please let this just be an ugly rumour. Hollywood already murdererd Ju-On/Ring/Dark Water, and now I have friends who refuse to watch the Japanese originals because they've "already seen the movie".

It's all part of a slippery slope, and before we know it we'll be seeing Michael Douglas and Kate Hudson [can be substituted for the anodyne couple of your choice] making a complete balls up of masterpieces like Miike Takashi's Audition.

*shudders*
Old 05-08-2007, 02:24 AM

nick, pretty sure it's happening.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:49 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale_(film)

[ QUOTE ]

Remake

In June 2006, Ain't It Cool News website reported that New Line Cinema along with producers Neil Moritz and Roy Lee intend to produce an "Americanized" adaptation of the book. The remake rights have been bought, with release tentatively set for 2008. In a July New York Times article, Lee assured Battle Royale fans of his respect for the original work, and stated that despite earlier concern the characters would still be young teenagers and that he would draw additional plot elements from the novel.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-08-2007, 04:11 AM

Silly movie, poorly done. If you're still in your teens and Buffy is the best thing you've ever watched on tv, then maybe this film is for you.