Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 08:20 AM

Default Sim World

Okay, I'm a bit high and been playing some Civ 4 lately and it got me thinking.

What are the chances we are just some big other worldly experiment?

I can try to explain better, but basically it seems like our world is just a big sim game put on by something else(other planet/other galaxy who knows) to see how long it takes us to [censored] everything up, and then they'll just press reset, installing new templates and seeing how the world runs.

Even Planet of the Apes style, I wouldn't be surprised if we found some kind of time capsule dating back to 4000(or 50,000, 5 million, whatever) years ago, where humans were even more advanced than we are now only for the whole world to be destroyed(nuclear war or whatever) and then the cycle of life was restarted.

Am I just crazy, or what?

Also, how long do you think we have until man destroys our human race?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's less than 200 years.(And I'm not talking Al Gore crap I'm talking World War/Super Terrorism)
Old 04-22-2007, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Sim World

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I'm a bit high and been playing some Civ 4 lately and it got me thinking.

What are the chances we are just some big other worldly experiment?

I can try to explain better, but basically it seems like our world is just a big sim game put on by something else(other planet/other galaxy who knows) to see how long it takes us to [censored] everything up, and then they'll just press reset, installing new templates and seeing how the world runs.

Even Planet of the Apes style, I wouldn't be surprised if we found some kind of time capsule dating back to 4000(or 50,000, 5 million, whatever) years ago, where humans were even more advanced than we are now only for the whole world to be destroyed(nuclear war or whatever) and then the cycle of life was restarted.

Am I just crazy, or what?

Also, how long do you think we have until man destroys our human race?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's less than 200 years.(And I'm not talking Al Gore crap I'm talking World War/Super Terrorism)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about the concept that existence as we know it is all part of an otherworld experiment. Although I always liked that Farside cartoon with the giant alien 4th-grader poking at the universe.

As far as the reset concept, I have always thought that was a likely scenario. The universe expands until, as stars die creating black holes, it collapses back in on itself to a singularity that "reshuffles the cards" and begins a new deal.

I like this scenario for a lot of reasons. Of course the insignificance of our existence is immediately obvious and many would find the concept objectionable on theological grounds.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:49 AM

Could be. See the following thread for a discussion of the moral responsibility of the programmer, if that programmer happens to be you.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...1263&page=
Old 04-22-2007, 02:12 PM

Odds are 1:1, right? Either we are or we aren't.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with the second sentence.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with the second sentence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, thats a BBV joke, I guess.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:42 PM

Some people have speculated that the universe is just a giant computer to solve a problem. Perhaps it's supposed to compute the amount of time that a cellular automata recursion modified by selection will terminate - that is, the amount of time human beings will have taken to evolve and then destroy themselves.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some people have speculated that the universe is just a giant computer to solve a problem. Perhaps it's supposed to compute the amount of time that a cellular automata recursion modified by selection will terminate - that is, the amount of time human beings will have taken to evolve and then destroy themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]
42 LDO.