Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2006, 01:01 PM

Default AK offsuit - correct play?

Did I play too passively here by not capping turn/river? Or was I too cavalier in capping a rather dangerous flop in which I had surprisingly few full outs (Reasoning: Jack could see a split pot; jack of diamonds or jack of kings would give me a "poisoned" two pair or straight respectively)?

Basically, I need advice with what to do with a fairly strong hand like this - top pair, top kicker - but on a very precarious board.

I am trying my best not to be results-oriented although it's hard for me [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

---------------------------

Prima Poker skin
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.05/$0.1
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls, 5 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (9SB, 4 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (10.5BB, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (16.5BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 22.5BB
Old 10-28-2006, 01:07 PM

Default Re: AK offsuit - correct play?

Sorry, should have said: my read on UTG is:

VPIP %: 56.60
PRF %: 15.74

I know the third stat is aggression but I wasn't sure where to find it in pokertracker... I see "AP" in Session Detail for this guy and it's 9.2 - is that it?
Old 10-28-2006, 01:17 PM

U realize u only have a pair? Just call down after he bets the turn.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:19 PM

I did realise that but I also had the chance to get the straight, and what swung it for me was that he was loose. This was my reasoning.

Thanks for the advice - well noted for next time.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:21 PM

He´s still coming on to you on the turn. I just call down from there. The AF would be nice to know. Hope you manage to find it.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:22 PM

UTG's play is screaming "I have KJ" or "I have a set of T's" (many players won't raise TT UTG). You're spewing with just TPTK and a gutshot. I go in to call-down mode when he 3-bets the flop.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did realise that but I also had the chance to get the straight, and what swung it for me was that he was loose. This was my reasoning.

Thanks for the advice - well noted for next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was bad of me to say it so rude. Sorry about that [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. Anyway my point is that one pair is not a strong holding even if it is TPTK. Just think of all the hands that beat u (AQ, AT, sets, straights etc). It's is normally correct that ur hand gains equity ('winning chance') from having a straight draw. However in this hand this is not true. This flop has a very bad structure, meaning there are many hands that people like to play pf that fits this board.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:44 PM

Marquoz: I did lose the hand, but to the most unexpected possible combination. (I didn't bother pointing this out so as not to appear results-oriented but he had the other two A's.) You're right - the more I look at it, the more this is spew.

Sushiglutton: no problem with the rudeness, I realise a lot of what I ask is pretty obvious to older players [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I realise now the severity of the flop structure in this instance.

However, it's because of my pot odds/equity (i.e. even if i only win 1 in 10 times against some maniac) I should call down single bets on each street?
Old 10-28-2006, 02:18 PM

Riku, I looked in the help file and eventually located the Aggression Factor for this guy. Seems to be just the "normal" side of passive at 0.81 overall. 0.51 flop, 0.95 turn and an aggressive on the 1.6 river.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:17 PM

I often slow down too early in hands, but after representing a strong ace with the flop raise and still getting played back at, I'd probably look to call down UI from there. If I did cap, I'm slowing down after UTG leads the turn.

Also, I don't see the point of calling the turn 3bet, and then raising the river as played. The 7 didn't help your hand, so if you weren't good enough to cap the turn (which is spew anyways), I don't see the reasoning for the river raise.

[ QUOTE ]
However, it's because of my pot odds/equity (i.e. even if i only win 1 in 10 times against some maniac) I should call down single bets on each street?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you estimate that you are only good 1 in 10 times against a villain in a hand, just take the size of the pot when it gets to you, add the number of bets you still have to face if you check/call down (so, 2BB on the flop, 1BB on the turn) and divide by the number of bets you have to put in to get to showdown (2BB on the turn, 1BB on the river). If it's better than 10:1, you call down. If not, fold. Keep in mind though that if you have a chance to improve, such as in this hand, you can call down lighter since you may only be ahead 1 in 10 times now, but you'll be ahead more than that at showdown.