Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Question about small and medium pocket pairs?

If you're on the button or in the cutoff and it's 2SB's to you, should you be calling, folding, or raising here? Assuming one raiser, with SB and BB left to act. Thoughts of two or more people already in pot for 2SB's.

I do alot of calling, and fit and fold the flop. Especially true in multiway pots.
I probably raise if opponent who raised is loose.

Is this a leak, thoughts.

Hand for example.

Full Tilt 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

This is probably a simple concept, but I don't know the answer.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Question about small and medium pocket pairs?

I don't think it's a leak.

It depends on the pair as well. Generally 88+ I may raise depending on the raiser as you said (loose/tight/etc.) but 77-22 I just flat call. If you hit the flop, you're almost always beind paid off by atleast one by it being a multi-way pot. If you don't hit the flop, you fold and you're out 2SBs, not really a bad thing.

As you mentioned, it depends ALOT on who the raiser is and their image and playing. Usually the only hand I will fold all the time to a raiser is 22. I will sometimes call 33, but 90% of the time call with 44-77, and usually raise with 88+. Not too sure what you consider medium/small pocket pairs though.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:38 PM

QE,

These pairs drop in value multi-way. Don't cold call unless there are several players in the hand, which is rare in shorthanded play. If there are several players in the hand you would cold-call for the value of flopping a set, and winning. Obviously 22 will flop a set and lose more than 33 and so on. I don't think you'll profit long term by cold calling one raiser with a small pair. As a matter of fact, there may be a solid case to be made to never cold call a raiser with a pocket pair in late position in short ring play.

Instead, think about these factors:

1.What hands are the raiser likely to hold? Did he raise to isolate a limper? Did he raise to steal the blinds from the cut-off?

2.What will the blinds and/or limper do if you 3 bet? Will they lay down or are they loose? Can you get this heads up with dead money(blinds, limper) in the pot?

3.How does your particular pair value? Do you know? 88 ranks ahead of AKs in heads up strength. So if you think your opponent is less than 50/50 to hold a big pair you should 3bet with 88 to get the hand heads up. 77 is strong too. 66 takes a drop in my statistical analysis and in any charts I've seen. Where 77 is 9th best 66 is 17th heads up. 55 is 27th. 44 is 48th. 33 and 22 are real weak.

I think that in the example you gave your 44 on the button is a fold.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:41 PM

I'm going to say it is a leak. Very rarely will I cold call in this situation. If you're playing no-set-no-bet style, there's no way you're getting the implied odds to do this, as you're not going to average pulling 7BBs profit on these hands.

My route is to fold or 3-bet. Typically I will 3-bet the tighter players (&lt;15% PFR) just because their range doesn't include as many J9, 87 type hands and will be straightforward to play against in position.

Against maniacal villains I'm folding 22-77, which may be a leak on my end. They're going to be difficult to play post flop, in position or out of it, unless we spike a set. I will 100% 3-bet 88+ against these players though and get to showdown most of the time.

By default, I'm going to err on the tight side. That is, if an unknown villain raises from MP, 22-66 are going in the muck almost always. 77 is a flip depending on the rest of my table, and 88+ I'm 3-betting.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:01 AM

I would never cold call a PP. I cant imagine that you will be getting enough profit from the times that you do when the pot to make this a good play.

I usually 3bet 66+. Can change against certain opponents. Will sometimes only do 88+ against guys who play tight. If my opponent has a tendency to fold to C-bets I will gladly be 3 betting them with 66+.