Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Keeping pots small

I've recently read many articles from notable authors who like small pot poker. Their articles never expand to include how/when this is done.

If you (at times) practice small pot poker, my questions are-

1- Best ways to keep pot small (in and out of position).
2- Range of hands you play small pots with, and in what situations.
3- If this is only possible in heads up or 3-way max?
Old 01-03-2007, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Keeping pots small

This is a pretty general question and you probably won't get good responses, that being said, this is almost always overstated on 2+2 in regards to online 100xbb poker, keeping the pot small should not really be a concern...
Old 01-03-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a pretty general question and you probably won't get good responses

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't mind getting general responses, but I've recently heard differing approaches to keeping pots small such as betting from early position to prevent having to call a larger bet. I personally think this sets you up for havign to call a reraise. Anothers take was checking turn in position w/ aces heads up to minimize loss if opponent instacalled j-8-5o flop bet fearing a flopped set (not my nature anymore than the first example) then small value river if checked to.

[ QUOTE ]
that being said, this is almost always overstated on 2+2 in regards to online 100xbb poker, keeping the pot small should not really be a concern...

[/ QUOTE ]

I play brick and mortar high limit N/L when available. I posted on High limit vrs B&M since thats what I play. I'm curious for answers which seem basic to you such as why it's "not really a concern in 100xbb poker".

All comments appreciated
Old 01-03-2007, 08:27 PM

added comment:
I understand the concept of playing big pots with big hands and playing small pots with small hands.

My query is more specifically "How to keep the pots small"?
Old 01-03-2007, 09:52 PM

You should be thinking about whether the next card will be double as scary in a big pot or a small pot.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
added comment:
I understand the concept of playing big pots with big hands and playing small pots with small hands.

My query is more specifically "How to keep the pots small"?

[/ QUOTE ]

check?
Old 01-03-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should be thinking about whether the next card will be double as scary in a big pot or a small pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If our criteria for keeping pots small is hand selection (mid-pockets???) then keeping a small pot would further facilitate instafolding when scare turn cards came out with "big pot betting".

Your thoughts?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:58 AM

You bring up a great point here. Small pots usually play in the range of suited connector where everyone missed a flop. 1st person to bet wins because people don't have enough money for the extra investment, in other words, it's not worth it. I feel this is where pot odds come in play. In a cash game if I'm not getting more than 3 - 1 on my money heads up, it's not worth it, unless you have half the deck for outs. Then it becomes a big pot instead of a small one.

If you want to keep the pots small, I feel you really have to study your oponents and sit in the rite seat. Meaning if you have a calling station to your left, he's going to start a chain reaction when he calls your bet. You can't control this in most games. But you can dictate it by keeping the pots small when the solid players are out. Also feel you would only want to keep the pots small when your playing agianst someone who is understacked or someone who is a blind defender.

This is why we love this NL game. There is so many points to the game that most people don't think about. The advantages you have from small pots? You can price youroponent out, the risk is slim, and the reward is decent.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If our criteria for keeping pots small is hand selection (mid-pockets???) then keeping a small pot would further facilitate instafolding when scare turn cards came out with "big pot betting".

Your thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't talking about hand selection, more about how much a hand changes when theres 1k in the pot as opposed to $400 depending on certain turn or river cards.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You bring up a great point here. Small pots usually play in the range of suited connector where everyone missed a flop. 1st person to bet wins because people don't have enough money for the extra investment, in other words, it's not worth it. I feel this is where pot odds come in play. In a cash game if I'm not getting more than 3 - 1 on my money heads up, it's not worth it, unless you have half the deck for outs. Then it becomes a big pot instead of a small one.

If you want to keep the pots small, I feel you really have to study your oponents and sit in the rite seat. Meaning if you have a calling station to your left, he's going to start a chain reaction when he calls your bet. You can't control this in most games. But you can dictate it by keeping the pots small when the solid players are out. Also feel you would only want to keep the pots small when your playing agianst someone who is understacked or someone who is a blind defender.

This is why we love this NL game. There is so many points to the game that most people don't think about. The advantages you have from small pots? You can price youroponent out, the risk is slim, and the reward is decent.

[/ QUOTE ]

swing and a miss