Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2006, 06:10 PM

Default Re: ** NBA Conference Finals **

[ QUOTE ]
Does Phoenix have an edge at any position? Seriously. Point guard, I guess. But it's not like Nash can stop Harris or Terry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phoenix has the edge in 3 point shooting and fast breaking. That's really all they've ever had and it's worked for them.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:19 PM

td,

FWIW the overwhelming consensus here in Phoenix is that the Suns have some chance against the Mavs, but virtually none against the Spurs, including reasons addressed above. The Spurs at full strength seem to have had the Suns number the past two years.

This could be why at a crowded sports bar last night 95% of the crowd wanted Dallas to win. It could also be that we're tired of Big Shot Bob, Captain Flop (Ginobili), and boring finals games.

Finally, I didn't bother to read comments about last night's game in that thread because it read like a chat room and didn't make much sense out of context, but just want to point out that some of those calls Duncan got were RIDICULOUS. And this was echoed by pretty much everyone in the joint.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does Phoenix have an edge at any position? Seriously. Point guard, I guess. But it's not like Nash can stop Harris or Terry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phoenix has the edge in 3 point shooting and fast breaking. That's really all they've ever had and it's worked for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. With Phoenix thinking position by position doesn't make as much sense, at least when they have the ball. When Dallas has the ball and NO ONE can defend Dirk, Terry, or Harris, then it matters some. Not to mention Howard, Stackhouse. Too many weapons.

Dallas is very athletic also. I don't think even the Suns can outrun them. (I don't mean that Dallas is going to try to run with them, rather that they'll be able to get back and defend and not worry as much about getting killed by missed shots leading to easy transition baskets as most teams do versus the Suns.)
Old 05-23-2006, 06:28 PM

Were the Heat missing Shaq for one or two of the early games versus Detroit?

Of course that makes a difference, but it still is interesting to me that the Pistons owned the Heat in the regular season, while the Mavs and Suns split, but everyone (including me) thinks Dallas has the easier series.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:33 PM

The 7 game Pistons Cavs series was a little misleading. Even though the final score was 4-3, all 3 of the Cavs wins were by a few points or less, and 3 of the 4 Pistons wins were blowouts.
Pistons in 6
Mavs in 6

Pistons over Mavs 4-2.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:35 PM

tuq,

I do see your point, I just think that everyone is going to think this...I mean a ton of people had Dallas still as not even a slight favorite when the series was 3-1 and said they had no chance at all in game 7. I had a bet with a Cuban on my team for $200 in game 7, he said that SA was going to win by 20+ points, he was that confident. There is a lot of fear of SA b/c of what they have done in the past, ok, they earned that, great but Dallas outplayed them and they did with a lot of what has worked for SA (other than a great big guy) in the past.

I think the Suns have some chance against anyone just b/c they are dangerous, they can shoot it lights out and when they get into that frenzy and that pace nobody beats them. The champs are always going to get more love than the team that is known for choking and known for what has happened in the past. But the truth is that the team the Suns beat last year isn't the same team, so all of those people may be misinformed just b/c they haven't been watching this Dallas team very closely all year. The people around me right now didn't even know Dallas was any different this year, right now I am in Connecticut, and they just thought they were the same offense only team from the past so why wouldn't Suns fans root against the Spurs?

I say 6 games b/c that pace the Suns play at is dangerous.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:48 PM

Detroit in 6.
Dallas in 6.

Yes, predicting both win away. These are both the better teams, and have proven they can win on the road. Strongly feel these are the winners, and if selecting 2nd choice # of games, lean towards Detroit in 7 and Dallas in 5.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:06 PM

TD
All of it was also because the Spurs were playing at home for Game 7.
After watching most of the games I thought Dallas should win the series for sure given the Spurs problems of the past...no one on the bench ever shows up..continued into this years playoffs. Also Parker will always vanish.

Spurs are not a Dynasty, never were.
It is a huge win for Dallas obviously given their past, but its not like they knocked of the best team in the league(Pistons).

The one thing the Suns have going for them is they have nothing to lose. If I was a Mavs fan I'd be slightly worried about how everyone is saying the Mavs are a lock for the Finals and will basically sweep the Suns.

No one expects the Suns to do well in this round...so if they play loose and shoot well-defending Harris,Howard etc won't be a worry. If the score is 115-120....the Suns will almost always come out with the win.

Dallas needs to win the first two home games.

Dallas in 7
Heat in 6
Old 05-23-2006, 07:13 PM

I wonder if its possible for the PreGame show to talk about the Heat any more. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Round 1: 3/5 games on NBA TV
Round 2: LBJ LBJ LBJ
Round 3: Wade Shaq Wade Shaq Wade Shaq

Seems like the Finals made be the first time people notice the Pistons are playing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Not that I'm complaining. Just an observation.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Frankly I'm surprised by the Heat love. Is this a sexy underdog pick, or are people jumping onto the bandwagon that quickly? The Heat just don't match up well with the Pistons, period. They (and Shaq) have a pretty poor record the last few years vs the 'Stones.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's no secret, they've been playing badly. if they keep playing badly they're gonna lose. even if they don't, they might lose. This isn't the same Heat team as last year? It isn't the same Pistons team either.

Pistons in 7, Mavs in 6

[/ QUOTE ]

the pistons would need to play worse then they did against the cavs to lose this.

[/ QUOTE ]

well obviously. why would they have to play better to beat a better team?