Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Chris Benoit and Wife found dead

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-wrestling27jun27,1,3544775.story?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

""A chokehold," Ballard said, "was used to strangle the boy rather than hands, because there's no bruising consistent with a strangling by hands.""

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm following this on a wrestling message board as well. Several hours ago a poster (apparently credible with the mods there) with contacts with some media and/or investigating officals says the 7-year old Daniel had bruises investigators couldn't understand. Then, they saw some WWE footage of Benoit and concluded that Benoit killed his son using the Crippler Crossface.

[/ QUOTE ]

people at beginning of this thread must feel retarded.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.pwtorch.com/artman/publis...le_20656.shtml

More news, Benoit's son had "Fragile X" syndrome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Benoit's possible rationale for killing his son is similar to what Joseph Goebbels's rationale was when he allowed his wife to kill his six kids and then he and his wife killed themselves.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I often wonder if people who do unbelievably horrible things are more worthy of our pity or our scorn.

[/ QUOTE ]
The scorn is automatic, it's all over this thread, but feeling pity and/or compassion for a person who has done something like this is very difficult. We automatically feel sorry for the victims, which is of course appropriate, but I have also been spending some time trying to wrap my head around the enormous suffering that Benoit must have been going through, not to excuse him or his actions, but to understand them on any level at all. I haven't been successful.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yea, I would expect that benoit would refer to regal as darren

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. As I mentioned, I have a friend who works the indies, and "the boys" refer to him by his stage name.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can speak to the fact that among British wrestlers at least he is still called Steve Regal.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yea, I would expect that benoit would refer to regal as darren

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. As I mentioned, I have a friend who works the indies, and "the boys" refer to him by his stage name.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can speak to the fact that among British wrestlers at least he is still called Steve Regal.

[/ QUOTE ]
The only reason they changed it was that at the time Regal came to WWE, they already had Steve Austin, Steve Blackman, and Stevie Richards, so there were just too many Steves. I still think of him as Lord Steven Regal myself.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I often wonder if people who do unbelievably horrible things are more worthy of our pity or our scorn. That woman who drowned her kids in the bathtub, this wrestler, others that have done unimaginably horrible things. With or without premeditation or cover-up, any action like this is nothing but sick. Is it evil? Are there crimes that are so royally [censored] up that almost by definition those who commit them CANNOT be playing with a full deck? Should this have an effect on how we judge those who commit these crimes?

[/ QUOTE ]
In a certain sense, everyone who does anything wrong is [censored] up at least a little bit. Obviously, cases like this are extreme, but it's almost like, the more dysfunctional you are, the more capable you are of doing cruel and terrible things. So in a certain sense they all deserve our pity, hard though it may be to muster.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:04 AM

given the timeline, it seems the most likely scenerio is

he kills his wife for whatever reason.

he feels guilt over this and kills his mentally challenged son. (murdering your kids and then yourself isnt that uncommon, is it?)

maybe he had roid rage and started choking her. she dies. he thinks about trying to make it look like someone else did it and bounds her hands and legs. he starts going nuts. he kills that son, then he kills himself? who the eff knows what happened.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I often wonder if people who do unbelievably horrible things are more worthy of our pity or our scorn. That woman who drowned her kids in the bathtub, this wrestler, others that have done unimaginably horrible things. With or without premeditation or cover-up, any action like this is nothing but sick. Is it evil? Are there crimes that are so royally [censored] up that almost by definition those who commit them CANNOT be playing with a full deck? Should this have an effect on how we judge those who commit these crimes?

[/ QUOTE ]
In a certain sense, everyone who does anything wrong is [censored] up at least a little bit. Obviously, cases like this are extreme, but it's almost like, the more dysfunctional you are, the more capable you are of doing cruel and terrible things. So in a certain sense they all deserve our pity, hard though it may be to muster.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems the more calculated and self-interested the crime, the smaller the percentage of pity. But that's not universal, I'm thinking about that nutjob that shot all those people on the LIRR who was clearly out of his mind. The VA Tech shooter got more than his fair share of pity, I think the fact that he was young and vulnerable-seeming has something to do with that. But look at the cop in the news right now who murdered the pregnant girlfriend, I don't think it would even occur to anyone to pity him.

There's something so uniquely terrible about murdering children, especially your own, that child murderers seem to end up in their own category. Like that guy who killed all those Amish kids - he was so clearly insane, and the Amish were so matter-of-fact about the ordeal, that he was quickly forgotten.

I've got to stop thinking about this, it makes me so sad.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
its hard to believe that he didnt have any control over his actions. while this looks like some sort of ted bundy premeditated torture session, i think it was more likely a crime of rage/passion against the wife followed by him going nuts and doing the kid.

also, if he lost control of his actions do to the physical harm he did to his brain with chemical substances, then he is still responsible for his actions.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cliff notes, please! Too long thread. That dude killed his son, and people are doing tributes and stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

At the time the Raw tribute episode aired, the only thing people knew was that Benoit and his family died. Since they found out that Benoit is the killer, WWE has apologized for the tribute and taken all of his merchandise off the WWE site.