Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 03:18 PM

Default WPT, WSOP, USPC DVD\'s with all hands, why don\'t they sell these?

Wasn't sure where to post this, please move it if this isn't the right place.

Ever since the TV poker boom started, I've wanted ESPN & WPT to sell DVD's that show all the hands with hole cards, not just the edited for TV versions.

I would think I'm not alone.

Does anyone else think they are blowing an opportunity to increase their revenues by selling box sets of complete tournament coverage that show all hands they have on film?

Would it reallly be that costly for them to do this?

Sure seems like a missed opportunity and a waste of footage that is probably sitting in a vault somewhere.

What would you pay for something like this?

Seems like they could get $49.95 to $99.95 per set.

What does everyone else think?
Old 07-15-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: WPT, WSOP, USPC DVD\'s with all hands, why don\'t they sell these?

I definately would, but I'm not sure there is enough of an audience that would.

We don't even get WSOP DVD sets of the regular footage and WPT's last one of Season 3 was garbage.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone else think they are blowing an opportunity to increase their revenues by selling box sets of complete tournament coverage that show all hands they have on film?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all I think this belongs in TV, but in before its moved.

Second the companies (ESPN/WPT) have to weight the impact of DVD's on the ratings for the retelecasts on their because they may have bonus where x% rating generates a dollar bonus, but having a DVD out there may limit the possibility of hitting that mark. Would you watch ESPN classic episodes of the WSOP if you had the DVD on your shelf ? Probably not, that impacts what they can get from advertisers.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all I think this belongs in TV, but in before its moved.

Second the companies (ESPN/WPT) have to weight the impact of DVD's on the ratings for the retelecasts on their because they may have bonus where x% rating generates a dollar bonus, but having a DVD out there may limit the possibility of hitting that mark. Would you watch ESPN classic episodes of the WSOP if you had the DVD on your shelf ? Probably not, that impacts what they can get from advertisers.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes sense, but what I am suggesting is really a different product altogether.

I wouldn't even care if there was commentary and would actually prefer a good mic at the table where I could simply hear the table talk.

The people that buy these would be more hard core and would be a different audience than those who watch the classic reruns. I'd still watch the reruns because I like the edited versions with commentary as well.

I assume they will never do what I suggest, but I still think they are missing an opportunity to sell something that should be a cheap byproduct of their main production.

Oil refineries used to just burn off all the natural gas until they realized they had a profitable byproduct that required very little additional costs to bring to market.

I'm still holding out hope that ESPN and WPT will realize they are "burning off their gas" and come to their senses, albeit probably futilely.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:25 PM

Very few people would buy them and the production costs would put them in the red- there is no way I would watch 7 hours of poker hand for hand
Old 07-15-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there is no way I would watch 7 hours of poker hand for hand

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be nuts not to if you want to improve at poker. I'd love to see entire unedited play with hole cards of a bunch of strong tournament players
Old 07-15-2007, 05:32 PM

Pretty much the whole audience for that would be coming from a very small population. Much of that population is 2+2, educated poker players looking closely at strategy.

Im almost positive they wouldnt sell enough copies to make money.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty much the whole audience for that would be coming from a very small population. Much of that population is 2+2, educated poker players looking closely at strategy.

Im almost positive they wouldnt sell enough copies to make money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but how much money would it cost them to just slap unedited recordings on itunes or whatever as avi files. I don't think it would be much of an expense, just hire a couple kids to put the hole card graphics on it.

Well, I guess there would be a little more to it than that (have to switch camera views and whatnot) but I still don't think it would cost all that much.