Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2007, 12:30 AM

Default Re: 2007 Pac 10 football thread

rwperu34,
FWIW, I'm not sure how much ASU got shafted on that fumbled punt at the end of the first half. The replay officials were able to completely avoid whether the fumble happened or not because the backjudge was indeed signaling the play was dead as the mad scramble for the ball ensued. What the replay officials never really ruled on was whether Jackson fumbled before he was down or not. I spent about 5 minutes watching the DVR of the slow-mo frame-by-frame to see what the correct call was. Believe it or not, Jackson's knee hit the ground in the exact same fram that the tackler's knee jarred the ball from Jackson's hands. IMO, it was simultaneous. Oh yeah, I saw some ASU boards that said Jackson landed on top of the defender and was never down. While partly true as Jackson did land on top of the defender, for part of the play, Jackson's knee DID hit the ground.
So, I wouldn't go so far as to call it a shaft. However, it definitely didn't go ASU's way.

I think it was more unreal that 3 very close calls the first half didn't go ASU's way. Jackson's TD reception for Cal was very close and could've gone either way.

In addition, the Carpenter fumble and Cal return for a TD might have been a face mask. I never got more than one replay angle, which was inconclusive. The tackler clearly hit Carpenter's pads first. Then, the tackler's hand drags. Carpenter's helmet clearly moves, but he was wearing it so loose the whole game that I'm not sure if the Cal player got a part of it or just brushed another part of the helmet, such as the strap or the side.

I would say it was extremely unfortunate that all 3 of those close calls went against ASU.