Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 01:29 AM

Default Odd requests from affiliate re: browser, etc.

I am considering playing at some new sites (for me) and signing up under an affiliate to get rakeback. The one I am leaning toward asks that I do the following:

"To ensure that your play is correctly tracked to xxxxxxxxx.com please be sure to clear your internet history, temporary files, and cookies before downloading from our links. For simple instructions on how to clear those items please click here. You must also disable any cookie-blockers running on your computer (i.e. antivirus, antispyware, & firewall programs).

You must use Internet Explorer to click the links and download because the poker site affiliate tracking systems are only designed to work with IE. Using another browser can cause your account to not be tracked to us."

I use firefox as my browser and am very protective of my computer when it comes to keeping my anti-virus protection up to date and go overboard protecting from spyware.

These requests from the affiliate concern me and I don't understand why they are in place. Am I just being paranoid, or is this a red flag?
Old 09-05-2006, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Odd requests from affiliate re: browser, etc.

No, you're right to be a bit concerned. I'd leave all your security on, download the stuff using Firefox, and then once you start playing, email them to check that everything has been set up correctly.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:06 AM

The thing is, what could they really care about? There's no hole they're going to exploit by just clearing your cookies.

I expect this is just for referall tracking. Your affiliate wants to make sure the poker site can see that you clicked through to the poker site through the affiliate.
-Sam
Old 09-05-2006, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Your affiliate wants to make sure the poker site can see that you clicked through to the poker site through the affiliate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. I also guess that if you decide to register for xyz poker through an affiliate, but have already visited xyz's site and have their cookie on your computer they *could* argue that your affiliate's referral did not generate you as a new player since you had already been to the site.

In my experience, this is a pretty standard request.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:07 PM

It's a smart request to cover both you and them to make sure you are on their tracker. You'll get 0 rakeback if you accidentally sign up with someone elses cookie and they won't get jack [censored] either.