Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 03:19 AM

Default Mediocre Player needs help: Pre-flop

Background:

I have been playing 1/2 NL online since March. Between Party and Stars I have over 225,000 hands in my PT database. Though I am a small winner (2.5 PT BB/100), I really need to get better and want your help.

I would like to take a step-by-step process and discuss my pre-flop problems in this thread first. And take on my other problems in subsequent threads. I am most interested in discussing generalities, but can and will post hand history examples if helpful.

My stats are somewhat influenced by the fact that I play 10 games at once, this could also be a big factor in my mediocrity.

Here are my relevant PT stats (can give more detail if needed):

Total hands: 226,930
VPIP: 15.48
VPIFSB: 26.42
Saw Flop: 17.28
Saw Flop No Blind: 10.89
Fold SB to Steal: 92.87
Fold BB to Steal: 90.44
Fold BB to Steal HU: 90.25
Att to Steal Blinds: 8.44
Raised pre-flop: 5.96
Limp/ Reraise PF: 0.01
Total Aggression: 2.73

When comparing my play with the better players in my games, I generally play fewer hands and I raise less often. A good example of how nitty I play would be that I am reluctant to call raises, in position, with hands like AQs or KQs, or other sort of dominated holdings unless my opponent is a crazy loose agro. I don’t like calling even open min raises with hands like KJs. Am I giving too much away in these spots?

I think my pre-flop problems stem from both playing many tables and not wanting to have to fight too many marginal battles in those sticky situations. But I realize if I am going to get any better, I need to improve my results from these situations.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-05-2006, 03:21 AM

Default Re: Mediocre Player needs help: Pre-flop

is this 6max or fr?
Old 09-05-2006, 03:28 AM

If you want to get better, play fewer tables. Play 10 when you become the next bld or lolol.

Definitely raise more pre, esp in position. All pp, from any position, never limp from CO or button. I'm pretty much never open limping in 6 max. As far as calling with KQs, other suited connectors, you gotta think about what pfr is raising with. If he's 18/13, he's tight but his opening range is pretty big. He'll often cbet, then shut down, so yo can call a lot of hands in position where you may hit and may take it down with turn bet. Against 30/20, you're KQs/AQs is usually good right there. Also, start rr some against those with wide ranges for opening raises. Against 15/5 open raise, stay nitty.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:33 AM

Full ring
Old 09-05-2006, 03:41 AM

So you suggest open raising in MP with hands like 55 rather than open limping?

I like to limp with these hands in these spots, even in CO and button, because I think it gives me a better chance to win a big pot vs a typical blind hand. With a ragged flop, that includes my set, I have a nice opportunity. Though I suppose I do not win quite as many small and meduim pots.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I like to limp with these hands in these spots, even in CO and button, because I think it gives me a better chance to win a big pot vs a typical blind hand. With a ragged flop, that includes my set, I have a nice opportunity. Though I suppose I do not win quite as many small and meduim pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was 6 max.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to stack someone with a set when the initial pot is 2.5BB as opposed to 10BB. Also, when the typical blind hand flops big, it's often a straight or flush. A limp will have more trouble taking it down on an A high flop as well. Raise all PP from any position. That's solid advice.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:05 AM

I was just reviewing my PokerTracker data. Generally, at my level, the players with the best BB/100 with significant hands (5000 +) have VPIP between 18-22 and PFR% 8-12.

I could see an easy way for me to increase my PFR from 6 to 9 by just open raising more with pocket pairs. I am typically open raising with TT or higher and limping/cold calling raises in most sitations with all other pairs.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am typically open raising with TT or higher and limping/cold calling raises in most sitations with all other pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably wrong. I would guess you could increase your VPIP and PFR a bit more by opening up your range in late position in unraised pots and by raising your pocket pairs.