Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 1 RB this week
Rudi Johnson @Baltimore 2 18.18%
Kevin Jones vs. Atlanta 5 45.45%
Thomas Jones vs. Miami 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2007, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Who played well or badly at the 2007 WSOP ME FT

If Kravchenko had one the hand with AK versus 88 against Yang, he would have been in first and Yang in last 4-way, and the outcome would probably have been different.

On ESPN, it shows Kravchenko owning Yang. However, Kravchenko kept completing in the SB (which might not be bad against Yang) and often folding to a preflop raise or having Yang take the pot postflop without a showdown.

Yang was making very large preflop raises. He also was calling allins very loosely, with 2nd pair on the flop, calling open pushes preflop loosely, and calling reraises preflop loosely. His style did put pressure on his opponents.

Seeing the hole cards, he seemed to have some big hands when he took control of the table early as well as winning the coinflip with TPTK versus pair and flush draw. However, he also played aggressively.

I think you have to credit Yang for going from nowhere to chip leader and table captain. He did play an effective big stack game, but in an amaterish style.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:10 AM

Watkinson just made a standard resteal, pushing A7o, BvB. He knew Yang was raising loose, but probably not that Yang wouldn't fold a better hand. Still Watkinson often takes the pot or gets called by KQ or 55 or something.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:29 AM

tons of dumb in this thread
Old 10-16-2007, 06:03 PM

Yang pwned everybody. Reckless aggression never hurt anyone, just look at Jamie Gold.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:31 PM

I think that all the ME event proved that we need more shows on tele like High Stakes Poker where we get to watch actual proper ring games with mainly decent players (with exception of a few). I'm sick to death of watching all these coin flips where they mainly only the underdog winning. I'd much rather watch good post flop play where opponents try to outplay one another.
As to who played the best/worst on ME FT, impossible to tell as we really didn't see enough hands, all we saw is Yang get lucky a few times (e.g J-8 vs K-J), and just become a bully and a calling station. If more people on the FT played patiently like Kravchenko against Yang then I very much doubt Yang would of won.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sick that Yang won this, worst player..

[/ QUOTE ]

If he actually was the worst of the 9, he didn't really show it at the final table. Childs and Hilm did nothing to show me they are better players than Jerry Yang. Also, Lee Watkinson's bustout hand was a complete donk-shove. It seemed very out of character.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He did play an effective big stack game, but in an amaterish style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please define "effective but amateurish."
Old 10-16-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sick that Yang won this, worst player..

[/ QUOTE ]

If he actually was the worst of the 9, he didn't really show it at the final table. Childs and Hilm did nothing to show me they are better players than Jerry Yang. Also, Lee Watkinson's bustout hand was a complete donk-shove. It seemed very out of character.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did any of the other players call a pre-flop re-raise from an ultra-nit w/ A5o? No? Then there's your answer.

Nobody played amazing at the final table, but Yang played awful. Saying that he played in a way to reduce his flaws might be true, but it doesn't mean he didn't play badly. Kravchenko played the best, if a little weak-tight once he stacked up, and Khan didn't seem to make many mistakes. From what I saw, Hilm played really well up until the final table then just self-destructed.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:21 PM

I listened/watched it live over the internet

it was all-around terrible:

- as mentioned, kravchenko push-botted well, but gave away tons of chips deeper
- watkinson made one of the worst plays I've ever seen with his A5 or whatever it was
- yang just pushed all the nits around

no one played really well, but yang stole soooo many more chips than anyone else - he easily played better than everyone

everyone said yang ran well, but until 3 handed he sucked out and got sucked out on pretty evenly

FWIW, the sentiment in the WSOP thread was that the guy who folded queens early on to yang's (presumably) JJ didn't make that bad of a fold
Old 10-16-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He did play an effective big stack game, but in an amaterish style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please define "effective but amateurish."

[/ QUOTE ]

push everyone around in stupid spots, while not knowing why he should be doing it