Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2006, 07:14 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power
Default Democrats the party of fiscal responsibility?

Guess what is first up on Nancy Pelosi's to do list? Identifying who sponsors each earmark. http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/11/13/115739.shtml

Since the Republicans abandoned fiscal conservatism a few years back I've thought the issue was ripe for the Democrats to take. It appears that great minds think alike.

Of course actions speak louder than words. The Dems could end up doing something super clever like the Republicans did by passing a bill that required sponsors be identified then exempting all the legislation in the up coming year and-get ready for this-having the bill expire after that year.
I know identifying the sponsors of earmarks is a small step, but at least it is a step. I'm tired of the government acting like spending is some kind of arms race.
To be completely candid, I have some doubts about the Democrats really becoming fiscal conservatives, but I have real hope that moves in that direction by the Democrats-along with this past election-will spur Republicans to return to their traditional conservative principles of fiscal conservatism and limited government.

I'm more likely to vote Democrat than Republican, but that's mostly because I can't stand how the Republicans are being controlled by the religious right and how the party of limited government keeps trying to interject itself in my private behavior.

We need someone to get us back on the right path fiscally speaking. The growth of our spending, I feel, will be the end of us. If that someone is going to be the Democrats, well I guess that would be kind of ironic, but I'll take it.

Frankly, what I would prefer is that traditional conservatives take back their party. I've felt for a long time that a balance of power between limited spending/limited government Republicans and nanny state Democrats lead to compromises that worked out pretty well for the general public.