Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Taking a Year Off After Graduating...

[ QUOTE ]

Thank you for reminding me why I really hate human resources. Completely idiotic people (not saying you are) making completely idiotic decisions. Do people in HR actually think about how they evaluate things?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did it for about a year. It wasn't my cup of tea, either, although, I must admit it was nice to be the interviewer instead of the interviewee, for a change.

Here's the thing. In my experience, not just in HR, the most common reason people get shitcanned from a job is that they can't show up on a regular basis, vis a vis excessive absences. A guy who decides to takes a year off after graduating college, during which he had summers off, winter and spring break, is gonna be a red flag.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's the thing. In my experience, not just in HR, the most common reason people get shitcanned from a job is that they can't show up on a regular basis, vis a vis excessive absences. A guy who decides to takes a year off after graduating college, during which he had summers off, winter and spring break, is gonna be a red flag.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you aren't just sitting on your couch for that year off this is a pretty ridiculous perspective if you ask me. There are many very cool, productive and impressive things one can do that don't include school or and office job.

Of course you do need to explain the gap to interviewers, and we've all heard the debate about poker before, so that alone may not cut it.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:53 PM

You'll miss all the on campus recruiting, which is absolutely huge
Old 10-16-2007, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As long as you aren't just sitting on your couch for that year off this is a pretty ridiculous perspective if you ask me. There are many very cool, productive and impressive things one can do that don't include school or and office job.

[/ QUOTE ]

For all intents and purposes you are going to be sitting on a couch with a mouse in your hand, clicking on buttons that say "Check," "Raise," and "Fold."

Let's call a spade a spade. You want to take a year off and play poker. Just do it and worry about the consequences later. If the poker doesn't work out, you'll find something.