Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Would anybody here play this game?

One might guess that the cheaters still have an edge?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:14 AM

I am guessing the credit is very lax and debts are often forgiven (or reduced). Kind of like rake back.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:22 AM

You sure you've got this 10% uncapped rake thing right? I find it hard to believe. Maybe you should ask again.

A quick story:

YEARS ago (sigh) I was invited to a home game in NJ by a player in one of the NYC clubs at his house. He tells me the players are horrid. When the game started he put a big ice bucket on the floor between his legs for the rake. After an hour I get up to leave. He asks why. I tell him that it's because he didn't use a soft dish towel. 'What?' 'If you'd put a soft dish towel into the ice bucket maybe I wouldn't hear the clunk, clunk, clunk every 30 seconds but you didn't so I'm leaving.'

No damage done though. The rest of the players looked at me like I was nuts.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:27 AM

Just a regular paper towel will do the same thing.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just a regular paper towel will do the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

He really should've used SOMETHING. Seriously, it was clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk. So, rather than play in a bad rake game like that I decided that since I was already in NJ I might as well drive to AC so I could play something beatable. Like blackjack.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You sure you've got this 10% uncapped rake thing right? I find it hard to believe. Maybe you should ask again.

A quick story:

YEARS ago (sigh) I was invited to a home game in NJ by a player in one of the NYC clubs at his house. He tells me the players are horrid. When the game started he put a big ice bucket on the floor between his legs for the rake. After an hour I get up to leave. He asks why. I tell him that it's because he didn't use a soft dish towel. 'What?' 'If you'd put a soft dish towel into the ice bucket maybe I wouldn't hear the clunk, clunk, clunk every 30 seconds but you didn't so I'm leaving.'

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Same setup, with a bigass bucket sitting in between the dealer's feet. Paper Towels do indeed work.

And apparently some of the players in this game are pretty much props for the house (wait, is it prop or shill that plays with house money? either way, the house money one is what I mean.).
Old 03-01-2007, 09:55 AM

Our fire company ran a monte carlo night and had 5 poker tables and we had a 10 % uncapped rake.

A few people whined but they realized it was for the fire company and left it at that.

That game is held once a year......

A private game set up like that.... I can't believe one person would sit down.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

A quick story:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Same setup, with a bigass bucket sitting in between the dealer's feet. Paper Towels do indeed work.

And apparently some of the players in this game are pretty much props for the house (wait, is it prop or shill that plays with house money? either way, the house money one is what I mean.).

[/ QUOTE ]

Shills play w/ the house money and now that you mention this I get the feeling that the whole game is a big cheating scam. This game looks designed to run for a short while and grab as much money as possible quickly before disappearing.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(A) Ignorance
(B) Stupidity
(C) Addiction

Pick any one or combination of the above.

What astounds me is that I've heard of similar private game descriptions before.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason people can and do make money playing poker is that not everyone plays to make money. There's a ton of people out there that play because they like to Gamboooooooool. They won't care how much is taken out of the pot.

It's supply and demand. If one end is satisfying the other's needs, everyone's happy.

I think in the long run it's not at all profitable to PLAY in said game, but it'd be pretty good to deal.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(A) Ignorance
(B) Stupidity
(C) Addiction

Pick any one or combination of the above.

What astounds me is that I've heard of similar private game descriptions before.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason people can and do make money playing poker is that not everyone plays to make money. There's a ton of people out there that play because they like to Gamboooooooool. They won't care how much is taken out of the pot.

It's supply and demand. If one end is satisfying the other's needs, everyone's happy.

I think in the long run it's not at all profitable to PLAY in said game, but it'd be pretty good to deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

That gambool would be the (C) Addiction answer primarily with a dash of (A) and (B) thrown in. In the long run it would obviously be better to collect the rake over any other aspect of this game.