Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 11:54 AM

Default Bush\'s 4th veto of his presidency is a good one

Bush vetoed a "children's health bill" today. this bill utilizes the classic political trick of naming a bill in some innocuous way that sounds wonderful for all, like the "clean air and water" act which provided access to timber for logging companies.

It's got the word "Child" in it so opposing it means you are evil.

In a nutshell, this bill is designed to expand government coverage to families that can already afford it. Some families earning as high as 80k would have qualified.

Bush rightly denigrated this bill as a big step toward socialized govt-provided health care and vetoed it. but of course, it really just means that he hates children and wants them to suffer and die from untreated diseases.

As expected "Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., decried Bush's action as a 'heartless veto.'"

The bill rides on another typical political trick which is to make the continuation of one policy dependent upon a bill which expands it. My hats off to the democrats for creating this incredible opportunity for grandstanding, blowharding, and shamelessly pandering. Very nicely done.

natedogg
Old 10-03-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Bush\'s 4th veto of his presidency is a good one

I'm still waiting for the "Cute ethnically diverse children and small fluffy animals act" Which will probably be proposing a mass genocide of some kind.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:04 PM

The Dems actually have a shot at overriding this veto. It passed the Senate with a veto-proof majority and they need 15 more GOP votes in the House (they have 40) to override.

As for the merits, you all know my view on health care. If grandstanding and blowharding results in more accessible health care, I'm all for it.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:58 PM

In calling for Congress to pass a “clean, temporary extension” of the current State Children’s Health Insurance Program, Mr. Bush argued that the Democratic bill would raise taxes and allow children whose families earn up to $83,000 a year to enroll.

The chief Republican sponsor of the bill in the Senate, Senator Grassley of Iowa, said Mr. Bush “is getting bad information.” He said Mr. Bush’s reference to the $83,000 limit was drawn from a proposal put forth by New York State to receive an exemption from the program’s restrictions, which the administration recently denied.

Mr. Grassley said he appealed to the president directly Thursday morning, telling him that a long-term extension of the current law would leave children uncovered, and that the $5 billion increase in the program the president has proposed is not enough to cover more children.

“Drawing lines in the sand at this stage isn’t constructive,” Mr. Grassley said, adding, “I wish he’d engage Congress in a bill that he could sign instead of threatening a veto, and I hope he’ll still do that.”

Bush is among the bigger blowhards on this issue.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:00 PM

Of course, Bush pushed for the Medicare prescription plan which was a much bigger waste of money and unfunded to make things worse.

wtf old people > children

(I guess children can't vote is the reasoning used here)

<<--doesn't support either of the two packages. I am saying if someone is two faced, he should turn the other cheek once in a while.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:12 PM

Politics saddens me because it reminds me of how stupid the vast majority of the unwashed masses are.

Probably 5% -10% of people see through the smokescreen / BS of how these bills are named and reported, or should I say twisted, in the media.

"The Patriot Act": anyone who doesn't vote for it is clearly unpatriotic OMG!

"Children's Health Care Bill": omg you don't want kids to have health care?

I wish people actually put some thought into these things.

Any time anyone appeals to your emotions, you know they have no real substance.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably 5% -10% of people see through the smokescreen / BS of how these bills are named and reported, or should I say twisted, in the media.

"The Patriot Act": anyone who doesn't vote for it is clearly unpatriotic OMG!

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually its about 39%. Link
Old 10-03-2007, 04:30 PM

nate- why aren't you thanking the republicans as well? They do the same exact thing..
Old 10-03-2007, 04:47 PM

Nate,

Why do you hate children?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:30 PM

Politically its another horrible move by Bush. Just when i thought its possible he may have turned a corner by just mentioning any troop withdrawals and nominating someone decent to AG he goes back to 2005 GWB.