Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Study

Is this a joke? You literally make Power Point presentations for yourself? Hilarious either way.

What I typically do is just read the book once. I sometimes photocopy pages of things I think I might want to refer back to a lot (e.g. starting hands to play). If I have time I might consider re-reading some of the most important works. For example, I thinks Harrington's books might be worth re-reading. Same with Arnold Synder's book and some others. I am not a big advocate of making Power Point presentations. I also don't like to write in my books (unless it is a correction I am making -- then I might decide to write it in).
Old 07-23-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is MoP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto.

also...

The only book I ever wrote in the margins was the NL section of Super/System II, but what I did was buy the book, then go to Doyle's Room and c-n-p the text of the NL section into a Word doc. Then I checked it against my hard copy (since stuff like the suit symbols didn't get uploaded to the web site) printed it out and make all my notes on the printout.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:19 PM

I know making Power Point Presentations is a bit extreme, but when ive done the whole book, added narration, i can then put it onto DVD and/or onto my PSP (using Camtasia). At the moment its sticking pretty well and thats all I want. Oh, and being a very sad and boring person helps!
Old 07-23-2007, 04:29 PM

Ha ha. I have no idea what you just said, dolly, but it was funny. Different people learn differently. If creating Power Point presentations works for you then you might want to keep doing it. Personally, if I was willing to invest that kind of time I would rather re-read the seminal works without highlighting them or writing much in them. That's just me though. There are so many promising new books coming out that I have trouble reading all the good ones once. Also, make time for actually playing and getting experience. Books are helpful but no substitute for experience.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:25 PM

I've only read a couple poker books so far, and did little in the way of trying to retain the knowledge. However I have a couple more books on the way, and I plan to read through them and highlight the important parts, then go back and review the highlighted parts a week or two after finishing the book.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:32 PM

The problem I see with highlighting in the book is that when you read it again in 3 months, you will have more experience and you will realize that what you highlighted is not important or has become trivial. And you might want to look at some not highlighted parts which you didn't understand before.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:35 PM

That's a good point. Hmmm...

perhaps keeping a log of important page numbers is the best option?
Old 07-24-2007, 06:30 PM

I simply re-read them over and over again. I used to do the highlight thing, but I found that I was passing over some things I may have forgot at the time.

With my 2+2 collection, I seem to learn something new everytime I re-read one of the books. I've been through TOP about 4 times now and I still pick up things I might have missed or didn't completely understand the first, second, or third time through.

But that's just me...
Old 07-25-2007, 01:37 AM

Memory is not a problem when it comes to learning poker. Try to learn and put into memory chess openings and endgame theory and you will see what a memory problem is. When I read the poker books I just read them till I understand and maybe somewhat agree with the stuffs there; maybe learn some new things. In my opinion it's mainly impossible to have any memory problems when it comes to learning poker. Read e.g. the flop and you see what you should be thinking about it; if you don't, you don't understand and you are way better of remembering nothing.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:23 AM

Read once
Read again and make notes
Type notes on PC
Edit notes on PC
Make into a hardcover book

currently at 439 pages on:

HOH1, 2, 3
Hold'em advanced player
Tourny poker advanved player
NLTP
Online Ace
Lessons from the felt (terrbile book, made 1 sentance of notes)
Caro's BOT
Hellmuth read em and reap
brilliant online poker
poker tourny formula
full tilt tourny book
theory of pkr
2 + 2 anthologies
poker essays 1 & 3
improve your poker

took f'in ages & all from this, the best way to improve is to post and discuss here