Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2006, 10:46 PM

Default Turn makes overtrips...

Hi everyone,

I'm new to posting NL hands. I'm a long time limit player converting to NL, like many others nowadays. I hope this is an interesting hand. I'm in a disagreement about this, so please weigh in with your opinions!

Villian is 47/5.5 with AF of 1.0 (.33/.67/inf. street-by-street), but this is only over about 30 hands. I've only seen him show down one hand. He played Q2s from the hijack, limping first in despite there being a late-position blind. With a $4 pot, he bet $1 on a KQT flop, was called, bet another $1 on the turn when he made two pair, then checked a blank river.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP3 ($159.96)
CO ($132.30)
Button ($170.71)
SB ($131.50)
BB ($244.63)
UTG ($93.50)
UTG+1 ($128.85)
MP1 ($61.20)
Hero ($87)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $4.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($11) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>, SB calls $8.

Turn: ($27) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB calls $118.50 (All-In), Hero ???
Old 07-16-2006, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Turn makes overtrips...

CALL
Old 07-16-2006, 11:04 PM

I dunno, this guy doesn't seem like a lagtard who would dump all his money in without an ace when you could very easily have one. I'm probably laying this down, but I'm a limidonk NL noob as well.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:13 PM

I would call an Ace doesnt play it like this, if its QQ or KK that didnt re-raise you get stacked, reload and carry on
Old 07-16-2006, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call an Ace doesnt play it like this, if its QQ or KK that didnt re-raise you get stacked, reload and carry on

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-16-2006, 11:34 PM

reload preflop, and call
Old 07-16-2006, 11:50 PM

against most, id lean toward a call because most dont make the huge overbet push with the A until the river, but with this guy, id probably fold.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:51 PM

Hey bro,

I agree with the other posters on this. I used to have trouble here thinking he would only do this with a hand that beats me but no. Many will "protect their hand" by doing this with a 10 (even king high for those big spenders). Rarely will an ace although sometimes it will be. If he has an ace, KK, or QQ, im getting stacked here. Without a solid read to tell me otherwise, I call.

-Tickner
Old 07-16-2006, 11:55 PM

Can you explain exactly what about this particular guy leans you toward a fold?
Old 07-17-2006, 12:10 AM

Thanks to everyone for the replies. What would qualify as a "solid read" that would make you fold here? What, exactly, would you need to see the villian do, and how frequently?

In limit, I call these down all the time, and they often have a T or a lower PP. This decision is not costly in limit, however.

I'd still like to hear more opinions about this. What factors sway your decision either way? This is not a decision that matters all that much in limit. I'd like to know your thinking as well as your play.

Are there any PT statistics that any of you check before deciding? If so, how are you interpreting them?

I folded this hand. Afterwards I decided it was wrong to do so, but another good (limit) player disagreed. I'm concerned that I've become really weak-tight with hands like this.

In general, I am losing a lot of money because I'm only getting action on big pairs postflop when I'm against a set or something else that badly beats a big pp. It seems like I'm up against a set whenever I don't take it down on with a c-bet on the flop. What is the deal with this? Playing big pp's when my pot-sized c-bet is called is a big mystery to me...

Similar comments apply to TPTK hands. In fact, AK is a net loser for me after 12k hands of NL. Sample size? Too many c-bets (I nearly *always* c-bet when it's HU or 3 to the flop). Too aggressive? Bad play? Am I trying to get too much value from these hands?

Thanks again everyone,

Jim