Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Re: What are you proud of as an American?

My point is that I got over the whole "why do you call it football when you use the hands 99% of the time"-stuff a long time ago. American football has it origins from normal football, and I dont care if they choose to keep the old name.

We Norwegians refer to biathlon as skiskyting (skiqshooting) even though there are no shooting of skis whatsoever. I am fine with this as well.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My point is that I got over the whole "why do you call it football when you use the hands 99% of the time"-stuff a long time ago. American football has it origins from normal football, and I dont care if they choose to keep the old name.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great, but I still find it peculiar. I didn't know this was one of those issues one would have to "get over".

[ QUOTE ]
We Norwegians refer to biathlon as skiskyting (skiqshooting) even though there are no shooting of skis whatsoever. I am fine with this as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, good for you. However, I would find it reasonable to think that "ski shooting" refer to the combination of skiing and shooting, not shooting the actual skis. Furthermore, I don't see why it matters in soccer vs football.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually the football is carried more than its kicked or thrown, unless youre in San Diego. But the game developed from soccer and rugby, where kicking are more predominant, and kept the European name.

[/ QUOTE ]
Carried - with your arms - I might add. I enjoy watching both football (the soccer kind) and American football, but get annoyed how the US named their American football "football" and changed the name of real football to "soccer".

[/ QUOTE ]

Americans didnt coin the name soccer. It was an alternate name for football that was a reference to the associations that developed the rules for football.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, I don't see why it matters in soccer vs football.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont see why it matters what Americans call various sports, and I dont see why you care what they refer to as football.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont see why it matters what Americans call various sports, and I dont see why you care what they refer to as football.

[/ QUOTE ]
Even though you don't see it, I care. And, it matters to me because I care. Ah well, this got too off-topic and I'll end it here.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:24 PM

Let's just agree to call soccer "communist kickball" and then there's never any confusion when someone talks about football.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:30 PM

Actually, the name "football" for what we Americans call soccer, has nothing to do with kicking the ball. It's called "foot" ball, because it is not played on horseback.

Or so some guy I used to work with told me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2007, 02:41 PM

BUT, there are lots of things we have to be proud of as Americans.

Personally, I can only be proud (or ashamed) of things *I* do personally.

I mean, I respect the US Constitution and think it is a great document, but I didn't write it, so how can I be proud of it.

I think Hemingway and cummings are cool, but feel pride? I don't get it. Those guys were Amricans for the same irrelevant reason I am - an accident of birth.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:48 PM

Dixie Chicks, Ron Paul's foreign policy speeches are just a few to name. Why are they attacked by supposed "unbias" media outlets ?

Because, like the Dixie Chick and Ron Paul, those media outlets also have free speech and I support their freedom to criticize that with which they disagree.

"Freedom of Speech" does not mean you can say anythning you want and not be criticized for saying it. All the constitution says is that the government cannot make a law restricting your right to speak your mind.

And, there is no such thing as "unbiased" media. Anybody who believes in "objective" journalism is delusional. Hell, HL Mencken said that 75 friggin' years ago.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:51 PM

The American Revolution might have been the most important event of the Millennium

Nah. Movable type. Gutenberg pwns everything else between 1001-2000. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]