Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Strategy post: blind defense

[ QUOTE ]
do some ev analysis with specific hands (i.e. 88, KQ, 89s) vs specific late position raising ranges (i.e. top 10%, 20%, 30%) to figure out what you should be reraising/calling/folding.

This is one of the toughest situations in poker and its what often separates a big winner from a small one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is pre-flop equity important if we are 100bb deep and its 4bb to us?
If your shortstacked or in a tourney then its all important - since your usually shoving

Deepstacked I cant help worrying about reverse implied odds - i.e. making a second best top pair hand with KQ, raised pot, OOP.
Maybe a small pocket would be better for 3-betting from the blinds since you can either flop a monster or miss and take a stab then shutdown?

Maybe Im overthinking again - Im a 50NL player so perhaps I dont have to worry about this yet.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
do some ev analysis with specific hands (i.e. 88, KQ, 89s) vs specific late position raising ranges (i.e. top 10%, 20%, 30%) to figure out what you should be reraising/calling/folding.

This is one of the toughest situations in poker and its what often separates a big winner from a small one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is pre-flop equity important if we are 100bb deep and its 4bb to us?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you need to run some common flop textures and work out the ev analysis postflop. Preflop equity is not particularly important.

In general, its poor to defend your bb with hands that can't flop top pair. i.e., when deciding whether to defend your blinds, KQ > 98s > 22.

Also suitedness is pretty important, because when you defend your blinds vs aggressive player, and flop the nut flush draw, you can basically stack off.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:40 AM

I'm not sure how the stat is calculated. If the button or the CO attempts to steal and the SB defends, is it still tallied as a steal attempt against your BB? It seems that your BB blind defense would always be less than you SB blind defense if this is the case. This doesn't account for all the difference, but it would account for some.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure how the stat is calculated. If the button or the CO attempts to steal and the SB defends, is it still tallied as a steal attempt against your BB? It seems that your BB blind defense would always be less than you SB blind defense if this is the case. This doesn't account for all the difference, but it would account for some.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, PokerTracker only counts it as a steal attempt against your blind if there is no action between the raiser and yourself (and the raiser must be the CO, BU, or SB). So when there's a steal attempt at your small blind, you don't close the action since the BB still hasn't acted, and you're also always OOP vs. the raiser; whereas on the BB, you do close the action, are guaranteed to be HU, and once in a while the stealer is the SB and you're IP. The vast majority of players in my games defend their BB from "steals" more than their SB.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:42 PM

thanks for the clarification
Old 11-07-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, PokerTracker only counts it as a steal attempt against your blind if there is no action between the raiser and yourself (and the raiser must be the CO, BU, or SB). So when there's a steal attempt at your small blind, you don't close the action since the BB still hasn't acted, and you're also always OOP vs. the raiser; whereas on the BB, you do close the action, are guaranteed to be HU, and once in a while the stealer is the SB and you're IP. The vast majority of players in my games defend their BB from "steals" more than their SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the small blind can steal from the big blind then there should be more steal attempts against the BB than SB over the course of several thousand hands, right? Could this have an effect the stat?
Old 11-07-2007, 05:55 PM

att stl is only co btn
Old 11-07-2007, 07:51 PM

Yea, you're right, my mistake.