Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 09:26 PM

Default New Tracking Software: Poker Maven

Hello folks, my name is Nathan Alden and I have chosen 2+2's awesome forums to announce the public beta of new poker tracking software for Windows: Poker Maven.

Currently Poker Maven supports Full Tilt Poker and PokerStars. I will add support for more poker rooms as soon as I get those massive hand history databases from you folks (I can't play on most sites being here in the US!) The software comes complete with a heads-up display that works very similarly to PokerAce HUD's.

I think the following screenshots speak for themselves, but feel free to browse Poker Analytics for more information. I would prefer most discussion relating to bugs and suggestions take place at the Poker Analytics web site so users who may not frequent the 2+2 forums can benefit.

Thanks is definitely owed the 2+2 community for spurring my interest in advanced poker analyis in the first place. Without you guys talking about VP$IP, meta-gaming and shipping it holla I would never have been able to create this software. I hope you enjoy using it as much as I did creating it!

Old 09-10-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Re: New Tracking Software: Poker Maven

I can't edit my original post for some reason so I'll amend here:

You can also contact me directly over Microsoft Live Messenger at pokermaven@poker-analytics.com. If I'm around my PC and not too busy I'll be glad to answer any questions you have.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:26 PM

Tell us what it has compared to Pokertracker. That is your only way of getting a market share(by beating PT)
Old 09-11-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell us what it has compared to Pokertracker. That is your only way of getting a market share(by beating PT)

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of the reason I am offering a public beta rather than putting the software up for sale immediately is to gauge the kinds of features the public is looking for. Obviously, the two biggest features are support for the major poker rooms (I've got two of the big ones covered) and a heads-up display. Without these, most folks wouldn't consider purchasing a Poker Tracker replacement.

Key differentiators:

- Built-in HUD. There is no need to maintain and license two different pieces of software on your PC (PT+PAHUD). The HUD being tightly integrated with the rest of the software provides the best user experience possible.
- Asynchronous importing/exporting of hand histories. Importing nor exporting of hand histories does not lock up the application; user may continue to operate the software as normal.
- Faster database engine. SQL Server 2005 Express instead of Microsoft Access. Provides better all-around performance.
- Better reporting interface. Drill-down reports. Custom reports interface allows easy expansion of reporting capabilities for both me and others. All reports have page controls. Report grids are slightly more functional (something called "fixed columns," or columns that don't scroll horizontally, but instead remain fixed to the left of the grid). Grids use easy multi-column sorting (PT may already do this, I'm not sure).
- Additional statistics available (though some are not exposed through default reports). 3-bet stat available in HUD. Database stores all hand action for every hand, so querying hand action for things like "How often did this player 4-bet with AK preflop?" is possible. Custom reports can expose these statistics.
- Cleaner, more intuitive interface. Software looks modern, professional.

Of course, the plan is to amend this list. With community feedback I am hoping to further differentiate Poker Maven from the competition. What I have now is essentially a fully usable product with most of the important hand tracking features implemented. Additionally, my devotion to the product means a quick turnaround on valuable features I don't currently have implemented.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:07 AM

Is there any way to check if this software is clean?
Old 09-11-2007, 06:51 AM

Integrity check. What does PT do that you DON"T currently have built into the software (but I would assume you're focusing on for future versions?)
Old 09-11-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any way to check if this software is clean?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am assuming you are being careful about downloading and installing new software you aren't familiar with--definitely a legitimate concern.

I recommend using Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2, which I believe Microsoft offers free now, to create a VM to run Poker Maven on. That way you can be assured the software is running isolated from any of your personal data. Aside from my professional reputation and personal guarantee that my software contains no malicious code, backdoors, rootkits, phone-home code, etc., there's not much I can do.

Microsoft Virtual Server
Old 09-11-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Integrity check. What does PT do that you DON"T currently have built into the software (but I would assume you're focusing on for future versions?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean by "integrity" but I'll definitely answer your question truthfully. Usually it is not in a company's best interest to list edges their competitors have over your own product, but I believe by me providing an honest comparison you can make better choices. It will also, of course, drive me to improve Poker Maven to go beyond what Poker Tracker can offer.

As a side note to this, Poker Maven has been in development for only a month and already supports many of the critical features the majority of users look for when considering a poker hand tracking application. I am estimating that implementing support for each poker room, including the HUD, takes 1-2 days per poker room (assuming I have hand histories to work from).

Poker Tracker edges:

- 18 hand history formats
- Tournaments
- Non Hold'em game types (I can't be sure but I think these are stored as separate databases?)
- Importing/exporting player notes
- Player auto-ratings
- Hand replayer
- Help system
- Other minor features

I'm not trying to design an application that functions exactly like Poker Tracker. Poker Tracker definitely has some great features, but also some features many people may not use. My focus at this point is providing the community with the features most people really need. I've been seeing a lot of interest in "fish lists," for example. When you boil it down, a "fish list" is nothing more than another report being run over statistical data. If I can gauge the types of statistics most people want to see used in a fish list I can create a fish report.

I am constantly reviewing 2+2's forums for new feature ideas. Poker Maven's default reports are very similar to Poker Tracker's own reports, with some additions. In the very near term I will be focusing on adding more reports, including a fish report. Adding support for some of the other major poker rooms is a top priority as well.

Again, if anyone can donate hand histories I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to focus on Party and Ultimate Bet next. Additionally, if there are hand histories out there that use currency other than USD I would love some of those so I can support different currencies.

I am also in the process of documenting the schema for the statistic databases used by Poker Maven. I should have a Word document prepared and available on my site within the next day or so.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will add support for more poker rooms as soon as I get those massive hand history databases from you folks (I can't play on most sites being here in the US!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see Ipoker added. How big is a massive hand history database?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:01 PM

i assume its texas holdem only atm? any plans on adding support for omaha/etc?