Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 08:45 PM

Default 3bet, flop quads, now how do I extract the max?

Villain is 23/18 over about 150 hands, but his attempt to steal % is about 44, hence the 3-bet. Some would probably suggest that I 3-bet a little more but I always 3-bet for 3x the initial raise in this situation regardless of my hand. So far the villain has folded to all CBs in hands I've seen, but that's probably a nearly meaningless sample size.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop

Button ($197)
Hero ($201)
BB ($196.05)
UTG ($74.80)
MP ($218.55)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $24</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $16.

Flop: ($50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $40</font>, Hero calls $40.

Turn: ($130) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

River: ($130) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $137 (All-In)</font>, MP folds.

My usual line is just CB 36 on the flop here, I probably CB about 2/3 of the time and check 1/3 of the time... then again it comes up so infrequently I might be fooling myself about that.

Considered CRAI on the flop for a while but decided he only calls that with a couple over overpairs, and those he'd likely bet again on the turn anyway.

I'm now thinking it's probably better to just bet about 60 on the river, thoughts?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Re: 3bet, flop quads, now how do I extract the max?

Just bet the flop and hope hes got a hand he likes, he'll likely peel a lot here. If he folds you probably weren't getting a ton out of him anyway.

I like bet flop, if he calls you can crai on the turn. Bet river if he checks behind.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:15 AM

Eew, just bet bet bet. The only hands that will pay off a lot of money are overpairs anyway. You're not going to get any money from unpaired cards, so don't try. On that flop, you won't be given credit for a made hand, so play it fast and let them call you or raise you. When you start playing all passive and fancy OOP, you just give them the option of finding a fold when you wake up (see river), or showing down their hand for cheap.

Oh, and as for re-raise amounts. IP I go between 3-3.5, but OOP, I stick to 4x to charge them up front for their positional advantage.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:20 AM

Honestly, I'm surprised by all these [censored] retarded threads about quads. 3-bet pot, 1/8 of your stack in preflop. Villain's likely hand is an overpair and you CHECK/CALL?! Not to be outdone, you CHECK THE TURN! ...

HOW DO I GET VALUE, I CAN'T SEEM TO BE PUTTING MONEY IN THE POT BECAUSE I KEEP TRYING TO CHECK TO TRAP BUT THEY DON'T FALL FOR IT LIKE EVER.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:23 AM

1/2 pot flop

1/2 pot turn

push river, which will be about 1/2 pot