Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 12:42 PM

Default WSOP final 36...seperating Men from Boys

I'm only familiar with the big names. I think the player who wins this thing is going to do it in one of two ways...

...have the deck hit him in a sick and unbelievable way like it hit Gold last year. Hitting flops with a variety of holdings and a growing stack against several players who really aren't that good. But this years final 4 tables seem stronger to me as there are some solid pros and the action I've read seems like better poker. That is of course just my guess from afar.

...the other way to overcome this field will be to Man it up and gamble well. As people I felt that Hachem, Dannenman, Raymer, Williams, and Moneymaker were all non-pros who found in themselves the ability to put aside the hugeness of the situation and play it out with few mistakes. So I think our winner will be a player who has the ability to stay calm and remain tenacious in his decision making. Clearly pros like Scotty Nguyen will have this ability. Clearly there are several players who will now lose a lot of sleep and decide to coin toss situations because they are tired and overwhelmed and so deep in the money.

The exciting thing about watching the Main Event champion prevail is seeing this players depth of character defeat the depth of character of his peers.

Who has what it takes to Man it up?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Re: WSOP final 36...seperating Men from Boys

If the blinds are 500k 1million the last 36 should last about 2 hrs
Old 07-15-2007, 12:53 PM

The blinds are 30,000 and 60,000 with a 10,000 ante. That leaves all but a few of these players playing comfortable poker.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The blinds are 30,000 and 60,000 with a 10,000 ante. That leaves all but a few of these players playing comfortable poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will be nice for the players. They may be in for a LOOOONG day.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This will be nice for the players. They may be in for a LOOOONG day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I mean I've heard everyone complaining about the structure, but they've already played 5 12+ hour days, are are looking at at least 12 hours, probably a whole lot more, for 2 more. I mean, at some point, the blinds have to catch up to the stacks, you can't have this [censored] drag out for a month.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As people I felt that Hachem, Dannenman, Raymer, Williams, and Moneymaker were all non-pros who found in themselves the ability to put aside the hugeness of the situation and play it out with few mistakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Each of these people also got tremendous lucky breaks too throughout the event. On one of the TV shows (I think the day before final table) Raymer suffers a all-in bad beat for part of his stack, and he admits right afterwards that that was the first time in the tournament that the cards fell against him in any significant way. His luck continued to the end of course.

No one can win without lots of luck any more. Thats just a fact of life now. Fortunately, luck hits the pros just as often as it does the amateurs.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:29 PM

There are 2 reasons players win races. Luck and knowing when to race. With this many hours remaining were going to have some great decision making and some wild races.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:47 PM

If the deck even slightly cooperates, Scotty has a great opportunity to chip up early. Check his seat. He as SCTrojan and Farry to his immediate right, both with big stacks and like to splash around, and to his left he has two guys that are probably only going to play premium hands for awhile.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The exciting thing about watching the Main Event champion prevail is seeing this players depth of character defeat the depth of character of his peers.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yes. Depth of character is the 1 thing the ME champ will have over all the others. Brunson had this character 2 years in a row, then lost it. Raymer had off the charts character that 1 year - any idea what happened to it?

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:52 PM

If RaiNKhaN can't FT with his chips and this table, it'd be a historic donk meltdown. I'll take RaiNKhaN in punishing fashion to FT.

3 1 Steven Garfinkle 2,115,000
3 2 Peter Darvill 2,430,000
3 3 Robin Bergren 520,000
3 4 Hevad Khan 7,585,000
3 5 Allan King 1,000,000
3 6 Mikkel Madsen 2,080,000
3 7 Roy Winston 1,071,000
3 8 Paulo Loureiro 1,645,000
3 9 Kevin Kim 610,000