Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2006, 01:31 PM

Default Help - I keep doing this! ($4-$10)

This isn't so much about THIS hand. It's about a leak I have overall. In the MTT Community Bond18 suggested posting things you're having trouble with, even if you know people will tear it apart. Well, this is one of those things. But if I get even one good response, it'll be worth it.

Early in tournies I have this happening to me often - I put in a solid raise, get too many callers, miss flop, c-bet and don't pick it up or check/fold to one of the several people still in who most likely hit DID hit the flop.

Then I find myself missing about 20% of my stack in the first 2 levels.

Here's a typical example. Sorry about no stack sizes, but it's very early and everyone's got about 1000.

My notes on villain say he's prone to play garbage out of position.

**Hand #91833078 begins**
Button receives the dealer button
SB posts small blind 7
BB posts big blind 15
You are dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls 15
Villian calls 15
MP folds
Hero raises 75
MP+2 folds
CO folds
Button folds
SB folds
BB folds
UTG calls 60
Villian calls 60
(pot was 247)
Flop is dealt: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG checks
Villian checks
Hero bets 135
UTG folds
Villian raises 300
Hero folds

Now, I'm thinking - should I raise more pre-flop? I don't think a lot of average (or worse) players think in terms of "he raised 5 times the big blind," I suspect it's more like "75 chips is just like a little part of my stack."

Or, should i raise less, with the understanding that I'll get called pretty much no matter what, but at least I'm getting more chips in the pot, discouraging further callers (if not keeping them out entirely) and still sending the message that I have a big hand. That will allow me to not only keep a few more chips in my stack pre-flop, it'll keep the pot smaller for subsequent c-bets.

On this hand - I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have c-bet the flop w/2 callers, but I thought I had a good shot at taking it down on a fairly innocuous board and checked to me. Other options here - bet more. Maybe it was too obviously a c-bet. OR, maybe check and hope to improve on further streets.

This is an area that's been a sore spot for me lately. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Help - I keep doing this! ($4-$10)

Yeah, raise PF more early if you're willing to dump it on unfavorable flops. Sure, it's leaking chips, but early chips are worth less for some styles.

Anyway, AKo hits enough flops and draws hard at these buy-ins that it's rarely incorrect to pop it a little more PF against unaware opponents.

You're risking up to an eighth of your stack when you do that, but, you're hitting at least that, if not more flops with that AKo.

And if you take it down uncontested, oh, well, what the hell. Back to standard play with a slightly bigger stack.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:46 PM

This would be a tough situation for me also. villain has a pair. Maybe even 88 for the flopped full house. He's betting you had high cards rather than a better pair. Maybe it wasn't a good place to c-bet. I think your preflop bet was good but the c-bet invited a push back from any pair and the way they limped preflop made a mid pair a likely contender.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:48 PM

If the c-bet here is a mistake, it's a small one. Showing that you can bet out and fold to a re-raise on a low flop might return dividends later when you take the same line with AA or KK.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:50 PM

a little confused by what site runs blinds of 15/7, but besides that, this hand in particular looks fairly standard.

Early on I tend to raise more and then as blinds go up and antes kick i drop down to 3x or 2.5xbb. I probably raise to 100 here, but 75 looks fine too.

Villians c/r is suspect at best. He might have 3,8 or diamond draw. He also is not pricing you out as he is barely above a minraise. Checking behind might be best here, but c-betting is certainly fine too. Also, your cbet should about 180 here, 135 looks a little weak.

I know most of this is a bit vague but some of this comes down to playing the situation.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:16 PM

PF is ok, raising more is an option for sure.

Flop - I'll c-bet it with a diamond in my hand (and may decide to shove it against some opponent's c/r's and check behind without. Turn may NOT help you - but if villain's getting "cute" with an 8 - then anyting from Jack to Ace should be scary to him - that's like having 14 outs (only 6 are real, obv, and maybe as little as 4). You may hit one of your outs or the turn card may be scary for the villain...