Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #1 Turn

Caveat: I have no experience of high buy-in B&M tourneys, so I'm looking at this as a high buy-in PP MTT.

Let's review CO's actions. A tight player limps from the CO, to me that means small PP, hoping to flop a set, perhaps suited connectors looking for a cheap flop. He calls the raise which again leans me towards the small PP.

He checks the flop. Would he do this with the T9 out there? He's got to assume either one or both his opponents are holding overcards. However, he may also believe that the preflop aggressor will likely bet into this flop thus giving him the opportunity to check raise. This plan goes amiss when our hero checks. Now the scarey queen arrives and he realises he has to make a move. I don't think he'd do this with a smaller pair that hadn't hit or, say, 98. Nicely weighted bet too.

In other words, despite not betting the flop I think he has a made hand. 33/T9 or possibly JT (99 would raise pre flop). His range for us includes only draws and overpairs the only ones he needs to worry about being QQ, TT & possibly 99. I think if we raise he'll reraise us all in, I also think he'd call our all in bet.

I call, hoping for a scarey card on the river, with which to dislodge him, but if a blank comes, I'll be content to play on with 9,000+ chips.

The problem is MJ; I haven't got a clue what he's got [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] and if he comes over the top, I'm pretty certain I can't call, especially given his solid poker playing profile.