Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-26-2007, 03:27 AM

Default Re: ***Official SNF PHI/NE thread***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(btw, listening to stuff like this I'm always reminded by how much more there is than meets the eye...)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>99% of us know next to nothing about high level NFL strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this were true wouldn't John Madden, one of the best NFL coaches of all time by record, be able to offer some insight into the strategy of the game beyond what an intelligent dedicated fan already knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being an intelligent, dedicated fan does not equate to being knowledgeable about the game. You simply can't begin to describe the complexities to someone who has little to no experience playing the game.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:29 AM

every now and then madden will say something that demonstrates how much he knows but just doesn't bother to say. usually when describing the intricacies of OL play or something.

but then he also sometimes says things that are just clearly wrong, because he is old and crazy. imo. like when he blamed the first feeley pick tonight on him throwing off his back foot... when samuel had already jumped the route before he let the ball go and feeley himself said he was just trying to throw it away.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:36 AM

Madden knows more about football than anyone on this board, or anyone on this board has ever met imo.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
meh, the bs OPI call on moss which negated a touchdown kept this game a lot closer than it should have been.

[/ QUOTE ]
considering how many times moss has gotten away with OPI in his career i dont think you can complain about him drawing a ticky tacky one in this game

Edit: also, madden is obviously going senile
Old 11-26-2007, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
meh, the bs OPI call on moss which negated a touchdown kept this game a lot closer than it should have been.

[/ QUOTE ]
considering how many times moss has gotten away with OPI in his career i dont think you can complain about him drawing a ticky tacky one in this game

Edit: also, madden is obviously going senile

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't have tivo or anything so i couldn't really go back and look at this, but the only thing that would make me disagree with this argument is if the eagles' DBs were being very physical with moss beyond the 5 yard barrier as well. i saw them chipping and holding other guys a few times (and they got called for it, accounting for some of the very few penalty yards they drew in this game) ... wouldn't surprise me if i looked back on the footage and they were hanging all over moss. if that's the case, i would be pissed that they chose to call OPI in this instance. but i doubt you'll hear anyone from the pats complain about it and i don't have access to game film, so the point is moot.

in general i thought the officiating was decent today and have no big complaints
Old 11-26-2007, 11:25 AM

McNabb at 100% is better than Feeley. If you've watched him at all this year since the injury, it's pretty easy to see he isn't all there. When he could use his legs he was easily a top 5 QB, without his legs he just isn't. This is no knock of Feeley who was very good last night and might be better right now in their system than McNabb. Honestly, last year Garcia was very good in the system last year.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:43 AM

100% GarciaFeeley > 85% McNabb

100% McNabb > 100% Garcia/Feeley

The problem is that Reid will continue to play McNabb as long as he can play, even if he is only 85%.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:47 AM

The Eagles O-Line is not that good. LOL if you think that. They gave up 12 sacks in 1 game to the Giants this year. Feeley just did a good job of getting rid of the ball just before taking a hit. The Pats secondary was very... beatable 10-15 yards down the middle of the field for most of the game, probably due to some injuries.

You can't claim the game was close because the backup quarterback played. LOLOLOL. Why doesnt every team put in their backup last minute to "mess up the schemes?" Answer: because the backups aren't as good! Feeley is a lifelong backup QB and always will be. He just happened to spend all day completing 15 yd passes (in between 3 ugly interceptions). He's not as good as Big Ben/Romo/P. Manning, so it's silly to dismiss the ease with which Feeley moved the ball down the field.

Good point about the Eagles playing a 3-4 defense, and the Pats having trouble with handling the pressure it created. But the Eagles were often sending 5 or 6 guys on a blitz, then occassionally rushing only 3. The Eagles' safeties and corners played exceptionally well, and Brady was unable to go deep. Outside of Welker, the WRs did little to help Brady. And he still threw for a zillion yards.

The blueprint for winning defense in the NFL has always been to create pressure on the QB, no matter who it is. Facing the Pats is no different. Few teams will be able to execute it as well as the Eagles happened to do yesterday (blitzing repeatedly while rarely giving up a big play). Good tackling in the open field by the corners also kept the Eagles in the game.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:57 AM

Well that game they had their backup tackle in. So I think that game was an exception rather than the rule.

Thing is most teams don't have 2 good cover corners and a pro bowl safety. With 2 good corners and a safety they effectively shut out Moss/Stallworth but got killed by Welker.

Feeley isn't that good. The reason he played better than McNabb sans the 3 INTs is he is better than an injured McNabb. Also the WRs on the Eagles made some sick catches.

You can't go on an absolute scale defensively against the Pats, if you look at what the Eagles did absolutely defensively they didn't play that well but compared to everyone e/c the Colts, their D looked pretty effective. But some of that goes to a lot of missed catches which will happen when it's 38 degrees outside. This is the one thing that should worry Pats fans and the Pats coaches, it's going to get colder in Boston. It's going to be harder for their passing O to keep going in the cold especially if it snows. I don't think in 60 degree weather the Pats receivers would have dropped so many passes. They will need to become atleast a little more reliant on the running game going forward. Seemed to work in stretches last night.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well that game they had their backup tackle in. So I think that game was an exception rather than the rule.

Thing is most teams don't have 2 good cover corners and a pro bowl safety. With 2 good corners and a safety they effectively shut out Moss/Stallworth but got killed by Welker.

Feeley isn't that good. The reason he played better than McNabb sans the 3 INTs is he is better than an injured McNabb. Also the WRs on the Eagles made some sick catches.

You can't go on an absolute scale defensively against the Pats, if you look at what the Eagles did absolutely defensively they didn't play that well but compared to everyone e/c the Colts, their D looked pretty effective. But some of that goes to a lot of missed catches which will happen when it's 38 degrees outside. This is the one thing that should worry Pats fans and the Pats coaches, it's going to get colder in Boston. It's going to be harder for their passing O to keep going in the cold especially if it snows. I don't think in 60 degree weather the Pats receivers would have dropped so many passes. They will need to become atleast a little more reliant on the running game going forward. Seemed to work in stretches last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was the same temp in Buffalo last week, and they didn't drop nearly as many (any?) balls. last night they just kind of...dropped a lot of balls I tink.