Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is this a good idea or a bad idea?
Good 10 66.67%
Bad 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Re: **** OFFICIAL Premiership 2007-08 season Thread!*****

I watched a portion of the first half. Its a shame Reading are playing such negative football this season. They looked so boring today. Shame really.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:02 PM

just saw all three goals, haha, it was like Reading wasn't even there.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
didn't crouch say "it was boderline but I was obviously gonna bury it"

clearly joking but he must get fed up of this coming up week in week out. Chelsea shouldn't have pen against liverpool now liverpool with one of their own. Justice.

[/ QUOTE ]No, he said it was a clear goalscoring opportunity. And they've already had the law of averages earn them a penalty with Gerrard's latest dive a couple of weeks ago. I think they had another one since as well, can't recall against who.

That's not the issue anyway, it's his farcical justification of getting a penalty for it, he could just have said "we got a bit lucky there", but no, rather than that, let's make up a reason for why this should be a penalty while comnpletely disregarding the rules of the game. Pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crouch was obviously joking. Sorry you missed it.

[/ QUOTE ]No he wasn't, and I didn't. Sorry you didn't see the actual footage.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I watched a portion of the first half. Its a shame Reading are playing such negative football this season. They looked so boring today. Shame really.

[/ QUOTE ]That's no change from last season. God knows where the attractive football nonsense came from last season, not from anyone who actually sat in the stands while they were playing that's for sure.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:09 PM

I watched more than a few games where they went at it.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:35 PM

fatshaft,

there seems to be a couple of clear differences between reading of last year and reading of this year.

first and foremost, sidwell was on sensational form last year, but instead chose to sign for a team where he can only get in carling cup matches. and that was with lampard and ballack out.

secondly, leroy lita has been off form, and for reasons i cannot explain, coppell is choosing to put his best finisher, doyle, on the right side of midfield.

third, the defense has obviously been tremendously leaky. this is what happens when michael duberry is a key part of it.

and fourth, hahnemann has not been in anywhere near as good of form as he was last season.

the combination of factors has forced coppell to play a bit more defensive. last year they really were very entertaining to watch, hence my watching many of their matches last year and this.

btw if my fm07 efforting is anything to go on, reading would be helped if madejski sold to a billionaire.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fatshaft,

there seems to be a couple of clear differences between reading of last year and reading of this year.

first and foremost, sidwell was on sensational form last year, but instead chose to sign for a team where he can only get in carling cup matches. and that was with lampard and ballack out.

secondly, leroy lita has been off form, and for reasons i cannot explain, coppell is choosing to put his best finisher, doyle, on the right side of midfield.

third, the defense has obviously been tremendously leaky. this is what happens when michael duberry is a key part of it.

and fourth, hahnemann has not been in anywhere near as good of form as he was last season.

the combination of factors has forced coppell to play a bit more defensive. last year they really were very entertaining to watch, hence my watching many of their matches last year and this.

btw if my fm07 efforting is anything to go on, reading would be helped if madejski sold to a billionaire.

[/ QUOTE ]Fair doos THEOSU. I didn't find them that entertaining tbh, although didn't watch them on TV very often, but when they came to the Reebok they were Chelsea lite - no compliment I assure you. It was interesting on goals on Sunday a couple of weeks ago with Allardyce on the sofa, as Kamara twice tried to go on about the flowing football of Reading, and both times Allardyce said, no, they miss out midfield, maybe they play it about up front, but they play a long ball over midfield all the time to get there. A bit of a dig at all those who criticise his team's styles of play, while not commenting on teams like Reading and Liverpool who generally do much the same themselves with scant comment.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:54 PM

lol @ allardyce saying any team plays long ball football
Old 11-14-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol @ allardyce saying any team plays long ball football

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the BIG FOOT play?

Anyhow, what's the news with the Gunners' GP situation? I see that Jens is on the bench and presumably healthy. Almunia hasn't really been spectacular, but he has been servicable. I wonder if Wenger has lost faith in Jens (especially since he seemed disinterested in letting in two cheapies) and whether Jens was ever injured. I wouldn't be surprised if Jens had a little drug problem or something.

Also, did you ever notice that Almunia looks like that big kid in AYSO soccer that just becomes "goalie" by default. It doesn't help him that he has that 16 - 18 year-old mustach starter kit and the bleached hair. The guy kind of freaks me out.

I think Arsenal is better off without Henry (and I think he is regretting his transfer out). At time last year, it seems the team (Fabregas) was forcing the action through Henry. Of course, given Henry's role and skill, that seems natural, but I think it prevented Cece from playing within the flow of the game. Also, I am sure Wenger grew frustrated with Henry's fitness and it seemed that every other game, Henry was a scratch with no suitable replacement.

This year, even though no particular striker has proven to be Henry's equal, the options presented have multiplied and have led to a much better offense. Now the opportunities come from all over the place, with more players involved. Lesson: Wenger knows what the hell he is doing. If he wanted Henry there, Henry would be there.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:46 AM

I think Jens is out in January. Wouldn't surprise to see Arsene bring in a reliable, somewhat older keeper. That Polish kid is the keeper of the future, but Arsene may want to give Almunia some competition. Can't see any reason to drop Manny while he is still performing well enough. I would imagine its his job for the rest of the year, unless he does something to lose it.

I also think Arsenal are better w/o the past it Henry. While the fee is outrageous compared to POS's like Bent, its amusing Arsene got that much.

Cesc has also said that the team felt intimidated by Henry. They all felt they had to give him the ball, and they all sat back and let him do his thing. I see what he's saying, and I don't blame Henry really for this. It was just how it was.

I think we may see a move or two in January. Now that Togo didn't qualify for the ACN, Ade is back, but we will still lose Eboue and Toure. Djourou is back, but he's not a suitable backup for Senderos and Gallas, unless Arsene continues to play Gilberto back there. BTW, I think Bert is leaving in the summer, not January. I know there are some young players (of course) Arsene is looking at. Very curious to see if there is any activity.