Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What would other golfers think?
That guy's lame 17 41.46%
That guy's baller! 24 58.54%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Why I would like to get rid of the LoL forum

GA makes me think of something here.

There's really two kinds of links.

#1 is flash games and funny video, the stuff that's in LOL right now

#2 is stuff like 2007 biggest celebrities and news stories that a discussion can form around

Maybe keep LOL and remain strict about posting #1 type links in OOT but be more lenient with news story/discussion type links.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:48 PM

This complaint seems to be more about what you think is a poor modding decision on NT's behalf than the fact that LoL is taking valuable threads away from OOT. The whole reason the forum was created in the first place was because people were complaining about content-less threads with links to videos of fat guys tripping and falling, etc. constantly being posted in OOT. That same problem and the associated complaints would return if LoL were eliminated.

Also, mason55's post is spot on imo.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This complaint seems to be more about what you think is a poor modding decision on NT's behalf than the fact that LoL is taking valuable threads away from OOT. The whole reason the forum was created in the first place was because people were complaining about content-less threads with links to videos of fat guys tripping and falling, etc. constantly being posted in OOT. That same problem and the associated complaints would return if LoL were eliminated.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just want to reiterate that in the course of that forum's life it's held steady at TWO POSTS PER HOUR. TWO. And each thread averages ~9 posts each, so we're not talking about a staggering number of OP's here.

"People complaining" sounds familiar. But who is "people", and why should a couple of whiners get their way when the numbers I've cited seem to suggest getting rid of the forum? The threads end up back in OOT, more discussion ensues, a better forum results.

Semi-joke here, but the fact that you're the mod of that forum should be taken into consideration re: your ability to be objective.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:05 PM

tuq, fwiw I don't care what happens. When I saw that LoL was being brought back to life I volunteered to mod it and Mat accepted the offer. I spend an average of like 2 minutes a day modding it. I have no personal stake whatsoever in whether LoL exists. It's 2+2's forum, not mine, and they can do whatever they want with it.

I just think it's weird that this complaint keeps recurring, as if it's LoL and not EDF/TL;DR that's ripped the guts out of OOT.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:33 PM

tuq I think you are underestimating the number of LOL posts that would show up in OOT if the ban on linktarding was removed. Just because only 2 posts an hour hit LOL doesn't mean that only those 2 would hit OOT.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:44 PM

I really enjoy the LoL forum. Just because it is not highly traffic does not mean that it does not have one of the highest OP:Amusement ratios of all off-topic forums.

If you want links to be permitted in OOT that is fine with me, just petition your friendly neighborhood OOT moderator about it but don't get rid of a forum that you don't use and that brings enjoyment to others.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:03 PM

I wouldn't mind getting rid of LoL and replacing it with a LoL thread akin to the monthly low-content threads in other forums, with linktarding still banned except in the LoL thread. I'm not really interested in scanning the LoL forum, but viewing an LoL thread in OOT once a week might be something I would do when bored.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really enjoy the LoL forum. Just because it is not highly traffic does not mean that it does not have one of the highest OP:Amusement ratios of all off-topic forums.

If you want links to be permitted in OOT that is fine with me, just petition your friendly neighborhood OOT moderator about it but don't get rid of a forum that you don't use and that brings enjoyment to others.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think my point is that its existence hurts the OOT community, and LOL to my knowledge isn't really a community at all.

2+2's forum communities are the key to its success - many of the strat forums, OOT, El D, BBV4L, Lounge, Sports, B&M and even Home Poker all have posters that call those forums their "home" and are reluctant to add to their forum rota just because some content was split off. That divides the community, and not always for the good. This is one of those times where I think the benefit is probably outweighed by the detriment.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Links/other sites/etc are great fodder for good OPs. I honestly don't see any problem with linktarding but maybe we could at least switch the policy to *ing linktarded OPs but not locking the thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems to me that NT has made it pretty clear that as long as you include a reasonably okay paragraph or so giving your opinion of the material in the link it would usually be considered decent original-post material.
Doesn't seem too hard to me.

Don't think there's much difference between simple link-tarding a discussion-generating article or video. But the criteria NT has set isn't exactly very tough to meet.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly don't see any problem with linktarding but maybe we could at least switch the policy to *ing linktarded OPs but not locking the thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

i sometimes do this too, although usually my motivation is to just let people mock the OP