Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 06:25 PM

Default My nit->tag transition

I realized being a 10/4/1 nit isn't profitable on stars (it was on party) and moving up required my range to open more anyways. So I am aiming for 18/9/3 or so. I 12 tabled NL25 today, except for playing too often UTG(vpip around 24, ouch! what was i thinking?!), I feel I did well. vpip: 17.73, pf%: 11.98 (maybe a bit high, but that should go down to about 10 after i lower my utg plays), total af: 2.01, the sample size is over 1,636 hands, which I realize is way too small, but I just want to make sure I'm on the right track. As for position stats, I am a vpip of 11.49 utg+1 (im leaving utg out because it isn't accurate, i was being retarded in the beginning), and goes up in a steady increment to 24.65 on the button. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2007, 02:27 AM

Default Re: My nit->tag transition

This has been said before, but you shouldn't try to model your game to match a certain set of stats. Just because a certain stat breakdown works for someone else, if its an uncomfortable style of play for you, your chances of burning money go up. If you're cold-decked or hot-decked when you switch styles, this can also skew your perceptions of what a XX/XX game feels like.

I'm not saying loosening up to play in a different environment is wrong and is going to lose you money. Obviously adjusting to the game is a key poker skill. I just want to make sure you're opening up your game by focusing on hands, position, and opponents. Not necessarily targeting a particular stat breakdown.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:20 AM

This is something I am trying to do myself. I've been playing a nitty game at NL25 for some time and it's actually profitable because hardly anyone is even paying attention.

1P0kerboy helped me out with some suggestions, including raising solitary limpers from the button more often and it was much appreciated. When I first started playing, I modeled my game after Renton's article on FTR. Now I feel like I need to open from that since I've played alot of hands and feel like I have a decent foundation and have become at least decent with hand reading.

Even with a conscious attempt to open up I find my stats on the wrong side of nitty. It would be awesome if some more experienced players who have already made this transtion (assuming they started off playing nitty) could give some general thoughts on the transition.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:29 AM

Oh man...
[ QUOTE ]

...So I am aiming for 18/9/3 or so. I 12 tabled NL25 today, except for playing too often UTG(vpip around 24, ouch! what was i thinking?!)...

[/ QUOTE ]

What you really are doing in so many words is trying to get better. You are trying to add hands to your game that will allow you to play for a higher winrate and you are trying to add more bite to your game to play against decent opponents.

You are going to be going through a lot of learning. It is really hard to learn while you are 12-tabling. Take it down to 1 or 2 tables and work on finding a FEW MORE HANDS and, relatively speaking, A LOT MORE SITUATIONS where you can get involved.

A few pointers is don't loosen up to much in EP and loosen up a whole bunch on the button. These are generalizations so don't take them as the final word.

There is a good article, I believe it is in this month's internet magazine, by Ray Zee about the evolution of a player. It might give you some insight.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:33 AM

I agree, when you're working on your game def take it down to 2-3 tables.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:53 AM

I am in a very similar transition except for the fact that I play 10NL. I tend to get overly aggro at times, but that is simply because of the super tight stats that a lot of the players have now at that limit on FTP.

Another suggestion that I got from a cardrunners video if someone posts not in the bb as a new player, its right to widen your raising range because there is that extra money to play for. And checking that posted blind(s) is a major sign of weakness.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:14 PM

One thing I'm doing today on the right kinds of tables is opening from the hijack with my normal CO & Button opening/stealing range. It's not like the ranges are that much different but it does add more playable hands and my success stealing is virtually identical to my stats from the button (I guess the positional change is offset by the fact that the "steals" aren't quite as obvious from the hijack.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I'm doing today on the right kinds of tables is opening from the hijack with my normal CO & Button opening/stealing range. It's not like the ranges are that much different but it does add more playable hands and my success stealing is virtually identical to my stats from the button (I guess the positional change is offset by the fact that the "steals" aren't quite as obvious from the hijack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Partially offset sure. This depends on who sits on your left too. I generally just tighten up my "stealing" range a little bit from CO to HJ.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Partially offset sure. This depends on who sits on your left too. I generally just tighten up my "stealing" range a little bit from CO to HJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking at my ranges, it looks like the gap was a little too wide between HJ and CO. So at the very least bringing them closer together should be +EV. Of course, I don't steal enough anyway so it may very well turn out that my current button range is more suited to the hijack.