Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 03-03-2007, 04:03 AM

Default ZODIAC

Saw Zodiac earlier today...thought it was very very good.
I imagine people who got sucked in based off the "from the director of Seven and Panic Room" may not have liked it.

Not only does it look and take place in the 70's but it feels like a 70's era film. Fincher's best work to date in my view without all the flash that normally comes with him.

Robert Downey Jr. and Mark Ruffalo(sp?) are very good. Both Anthony Edwards(did he retire from acting after ER?) and Jake Gyllynthal are good too.

The stabbing murders by the lake are pretty startling.
Overall its a def must see...but it is almost 3 hours...though King Kong/Titanic/etc felt like long movies to me...this one didn't.

Not sure I'll every listen to Donavon's Hurdy Gurdy Man again, and not feel creeped out.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:10 AM

Default Re: ZODIAC

Wow I thought this didn't come out until next week. I'm very excited about this movie.

Also, I'm really surprised the line about Fincher with this movie has been "Se7en and Panic Room" instead of "Se7en and Fight Club". Did this seem weird to anyone else?
Old 03-03-2007, 04:15 AM

its not even remotly like either....in fact I doubt people would realize its a fincher film without his name being in the credits/PR etc.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
its not even remotly like either....in fact I doubt people would realize its a fincher film without his name being in the credits/PR etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't expect it to be like Fight Club, I just think Panic Room was a gigantic piece of crap.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:25 AM

I agree. Excellent film. Kind of late (early) now so I'll wait until tomorrow to join this thread.

Lots of attention to detail - sets were great. Also loved the contrast in modern day technology vs. old school police work. No cell phones etc... and communication between all the police departments was a disaster. I loved how the smaller forces spoke snidely of San Fran's fax machine.

The film closely follows the police case file and sticks to the timeline. It never feels forced and the breaks in the case come as they really happened - it would have been easy to Hollywoodize the film and sex it up. There really was no need as the real story/investigation is intriguing enough as it is.

Very different from what I have come to expect of Fincher - much more straightforward in its storytelling and less of his visual tricks. A welcome relief after Panic Room.

blah blah blah... goodnight
Old 03-03-2007, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't expect it to be like Fight Club, I just think Panic Room was a gigantic piece of crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see it as a POC...it was kind of a boring story that Fincher somewhat salvaged...if some random dude like Tim Story etc directed it it would have been horrid.

but Panic Room was seen by more people and Fight Club had a huge...HATE/LOVE to it...so you could turn off people by mentioning that in the previews.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:55 AM

IS THIS SPOILER FREE?????????
Old 03-03-2007, 04:57 AM

Hurdy Gurdy man is plenty creepy regardless of what movie it's been in.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:02 AM

Interesting tidbit for those that have seen the movie.

<font color="white">
I spoke briefly to Robert Graysmith, the author of the two Zodiac books as well as the real-life guy Gyllenhaal plays in the film. He told me about the day he went to meet -- stare at, confront -- suspected Zodiac killer Arthur Leigh Allen, and how Allen later pulled alongside his parked car when he was in the driver's seat -- so close Graysmith couldn't have opened his door if he tried -- and just idled and eyeballed him, oozing malevolence.
</font>
Old 03-03-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IS THIS SPOILER FREE?????????

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It's a thread discussing the film. I would imagine that if you wanted to avoid spoilers about the Zodiac film you probably should steer clear of threads entitled "Zodiac".

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]