Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: Help ItalianFX Choose
Lindsey 29 22.83%
Brittany 11 8.66%
Lindsay 52 40.94%
Renee 35 27.56%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Poll: best way to determine NCAA Div I Football National Champion?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I meant to say I'd love for tOSU to play Hawaii.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell the coach/AD to schedule them home/home in the future. Since they are paper tigers. Road game in Hawaii doesn't even count against the '12 game' limit. Hawaii was even giving a $750,000 guaranteed payout to visitors.

Guess Akron, Youngstown St, and Kent St are enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

750k vs $5 million... hmmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

$5 million as in "if we go to Hawaii we might lose and get knocked out of the NC game"?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Each home game for Ohio State generates about $5M. Even going to the NC game doesn't generate $5M for Ohio State.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what is your point, exactly?
Hawaii at Ohio State, you get $5M
Ohio State at Hawaii, you get $750,000. You do not lose a home game. If you play at Hawaii, you get to play 13 games. Repeat, you do not lose a home game. You can schedule a home game vs Ohio School for the Quadraplegic and get your $5M.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:35 PM

I thought the rule that games in Hawaii (and Alaska) don't count on your limit only applies to Basketball.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought the rule that games in Hawaii (and Alaska) don't count on your limit only applies to Basketball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Note that 4-8 Washington is playing at Hawaii Saturday. 4+8+1 = 13.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Official argue about all dumb things BCS and CFB playoff thread

[ QUOTE ]
Expanding the playoff to including too many teams (8 or even some people say 16) is just far too many. It would make the regular season much less important.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it would make the post-season much more exciting; and it's not as if a 16 team playoff lets in that many teams, especially if it's limited to the 11 conference winners and 5 at-large teams. For a BCS school, getting into such a playoff would likely mean: 1) winning their conference, which I think most all of us agree should be rewarded or 2) getting an at-large spot, which would probably mean losing no more than two games.

I fail to see how this makes the regular season irrelevant, since it's entirely possible that under the current BCS system, a 2-loss team might find itself in the national title game if WVU and Mizzou both lose this weekend. And a 16-team system that awards spots to the Conf. champions plus 5 at-large teams would put a premium on being seeded highly to ensure a 1st round matchup against the Sun Belt or WAC champion.

In other words, if a playoff would make the regular season irrelevant (despite the fact it would almost naturally exclude non-conf. champ teams with more than 2 losses), then isn't the current BCS system making the regular season similarly meaningless, since a two-loss team like Georgia could conceivably get into the national title game if Mizzou and WVU lose this weekend? It is, of course, a matter of degree; the current incarnation of the BCS makes the regular season very meaningful, yes. But I don't think that a playoff would markedly depreciate the value of the regular season so drastically that we shouldn't consider the benefits.

I think everyone agrees that the #5, or #8, or #16 team doesn't have a legitimate gripe or claim to the national title; but I don't think that's what playoff advocates are arguing.

I think the claim is that 8 or 16 team playoff would be orgasmic for a college football fan, and would make the 3 or 4 weekends that it was held on the greatest weekends of the year, rivaling or surpassing the NCAAB basketball tournament.

Bowl season has its charm, no doubt. But I think a CFB playoff, if done correctly, could become the premier sporting 'event' in the country. My interest in a playoff isn't to "crown the best team as the legitimate national champion" -- I'm not sure there's any system that can do that, given the natural sample size problems college football presents. But at least a playoff would provide 3 to 4 weeks of college football awesomeness everyone could appreciate.

The chances of this getting done are so small. There's so much guaranteed bowl money floating around, and everyone is getting a piece that even if all parties agreed a playoff would generate more TV and sponsorship revenue, diving it up in a way that doesn't scare everyone in the process would probably be impossible, given that the bowl system is still a huge guaranteed cash cow for a lot of the power players involved. The current 'system' may be broke for fans looking to anoint a 'real' national champion, or a 13-0 Auburn program that doesn't get to buy rings, but I suspect it's "working" for a lot of athletic departments who are swimming around in the bowl monies. Northwestern (sorry iron) doesn't have to pour too much money into it's athletic department to make the Motor City Bowl and then split the BCS monies with the rest of the conference; will a playoff divide up the money the same way? Is that conceivable? What about home gates and ticket monies? Surely, a 16 team type system that involved playing the playoff games at neutral sites would be logistically difficult; there would be a lot of pressure to play a round or two on campuses. How does gate revenue get divided? Does it get divided? Who owns the broadcast rights? I'm not saying these are impossible hurdles, but they're difficult ones.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I meant to say I'd love for tOSU to play Hawaii.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell the coach/AD to schedule them home/home in the future. Since they are paper tigers. Road game in Hawaii doesn't even count against the '12 game' limit. Hawaii was even giving a $750,000 guaranteed payout to visitors.

Guess Akron, Youngstown St, and Kent St are enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

750k vs $5 million... hmmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

$5 million as in "if we go to Hawaii we might lose and get knocked out of the NC game"?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Each home game for Ohio State generates about $5M. Even going to the NC game doesn't generate $5M for Ohio State.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what is your point, exactly?
Hawaii at Ohio State, you get $5M
Ohio State at Hawaii, you get $750,000. You do not lose a home game. If you play at Hawaii, you get to play 13 games. Repeat, you do not lose a home game. You can schedule a home game vs Ohio School for the Quadraplegic and get your $5M.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. But $750k is probably close to the total expense of going anyway, so its (nearly) a wash. You were originally twisting my quote of wishing to play Hawaii in the National Championship game vs. wanting to play them in general. I hope they don't go to Hawaii. I have no respect for that dirty of a program with that dirty fans. I'm glad we are going to USC, Miami, Oklahoma, Syracuse, and whoever else is scheduled in the next few years.

Ohio State (or any true top 15 team), would be a near lock against Hawaii. Just look back to 2002 when Texas Tech had a similar "unstoppable" offense, when it took until the 4th quarter and we had our 3rd stringers in before they saw the end zone.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The chances of this getting done are so small. There's so much guaranteed bowl money floating around, and everyone is getting a piece that even if all parties agreed a playoff would generate more TV and sponsorship revenue, diving it up in a way that doesn't scare everyone in the process would probably be impossible, given that the bowl system is still a huge guaranteed cash cow for a lot of the power players involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's precisely the point. A 16 team playoff has basically 0% chance of happening within the next 10 years. A 4-team playoff would be as simple as changing the format such that the Orange Bowl and the Sugar Bowl are the semi-finals and the NC game is the final (with the semi-finals rotating to Rose and Fiesta the next year).
Old 11-29-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Four team playoff. No more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]Completely agree. I can't believe how many times I've seen proposals for a 16-team playoff. Sorry, the #16 team shouldn't have any chance to win the national championship.

4 teams solves most of the BCS problems and has the "benefit" of maintaining the remaining bowls.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many teams should be in the NCAA basketball tournament in your opinion?
Old 11-29-2007, 05:30 PM

As for NCAA basketball tourney, it depends on what the goal is.

If the goal is to crown the true/best champion, I would limit it to the top 16 teams at the end of the year.

The problem is that there are 330+ division I-A basketball schools and tons of conferences and the big tournament gives them all at least entrant.

It also makes the tournament go longer and produce more revenue and excitement.

Variance = excitement, but doesn't necessarily produce the best champion of course.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, i've seen two Ohio State games this year, against Illinois and Michigan, and Ohio State looked impressive in neither, at least offensively. i realize they blew out a bunch of other teams but who was good exactly? The worst part about all of this is even if some of these Rose Bowl matchups look like potential national championships USC will own because its basically home field for us, and last time I checked none of these teams have Vince Young on their team.

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched two USC games all year; Stanford and Washington. I have no idea how anybody could possibly put them in the top 25.

Any team can look bad if you cherry-pick the worst aspects of its worst games. It's interesting that you mention Ohio State's offensive struggles against Michigan yet fail to note that they allowed 91 yards of offense to the Wolverines.

Also, the Buckeyes have two big wins against top 30 teams; Penn State and Wisconsin. In addition, Ohio State didn't nearly squander its lead against Washington like a certain team from Los Angeles.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:26 AM

6 team playoff so the #1 and #2 ranked BCS teams still have a deserved edge.

Presuming you use 5 "BCS bowls" for these 5 games, the problem arises cutting out 4 teams from these high $ games.