Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 12-05-2006, 06:18 PM

Default NL50: Flopped top set against a shorty...

Bodog full-table. Opponent in SB has approx. $30--I have him covered. He seems fairly passive and donkish, such as doing things like min-raising UTG with AQo, or min-betting a flop/turn/river with a bluff-catcher hand like MP/crappy kicker. I haven't seen him do anything aggrotarded.

Preflop: UTG calls $0.50, and I raise in UTG+1 to $2.50 with AA. It's folded to the Button who calls $2.50, and the SB raises to $4.50. The BB and UTG fold, and I reraise to approx. $14. The Button folds, and SB calls $14.

Flop: ($32.50) A24r
SB checks, and I...

a) Check behind, and hope he catches something on the turn in order to call along.
b) Bet $7, which even while offering him nearly 5:1 likely doesn't give him odds to catch whatever he needs to win.
c) Bet $17, and hope he'll call the all-in. If he folds, oh well, he likely wasn't calling any size bet anyway, and besides, it's stupid to allow him a cheap card to catch when you can only win another 1/2 pot-size call from him.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:21 PM

Default Re: NL50: Flopped top set against a shorty...

C. YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY BLUFFING.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:29 PM

Default Re: NL50: Flopped top set against a shorty...

You're going to have a nightmare of a time convincing him you don't have an ace.

In my usual play, I won't get be so aggressive against a short stack because there is so little room for manouvre and almost any bet means fold or allin which takes away my control.

So, following that general line, I'd slowplay and check the flop. If he checks the turn I'd bet small and relate the bet to his stack (so say $4 or $5) hoping he thinks I'm doing that to allow me to fold to his push over the top. If he folds then fine, you weren't getting anymore anyway. If he calls or pushes then you've got him. On the call, the river allin is so small relative to the pot that he'll call with odds to catch your 'bluff'.

I don't think he has 35 (reraise pf and then call - perhaps reraise as a bluff but that surely folds to your $14 bet?) so you're so far ahead a bit of slowplay is okay and not stupid as suggested in c)