Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Grand Slam (the game show)

[ QUOTE ]
After watching Carpenter's first-round performance against Thom McKee, there's no way he's going to win this tournament. He's far too bad at mental math (which incidentally is also what did in Brad Rutter in his quarterfinal matchup) to win a semifinal or final matchup. After seeing all the matches to date, I've gotta think it's going to be Ogi Ogas v. Ken Jennings in the final (although David Legler could easily beat Ogas in the semis, he's been great so far in the tournament also and seems to have no weak spots), and that'll be a tossup. Ogas is the best player in the tournament at the numbers questions, but Jennings has the slightest advantage over him in general knowledge and the word rounds, as well as not being a slouch at the numbers round like Carpenter and Rutter are. I'd say it's going to be Jennings winning it, in a close one. I certainly hope it is, since Ogas has come off as an arrogant jackass in each of his two appearances thus far and he's -really- hard to root for.

--Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Bump now that the final aired...good call on the above. It would have seemed a little tainted if the current events category was the only thing that carried Jennings (since they just added it for the final), but fortunately he also won the last two rounds pretty soundly to take it.
Also, Ogi was surprisingly weak (by his standards) in the numbers/logic round...a couple of passes and some long pauses to answer simple ones (I hardly ever get a chance to shout the answer at the TV before he comes up with it, but did tonight). Not being able to take more than 3 seconds away from that round was the beginning of the end for him.