Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 09:00 AM

Default Taj AC Sat 300+40 TR

I arrived at the Taj right around 6pm and barely had time to get a required players card and register. The final table of the USPC was on and the room was really packed with spectators. Watched one hand and then headed to my seat. I tried scouting this tournament last week and was expecting around 100 people but there were only 64. Maybe too many people were watching the big one.

The early rounds were pretty slow. A guy at my table had four full houses in the first hour and was taking chips from people at the table with relative ease. This tournament has 30 minute rounds and 10k in starting chips so I just waited him out figuring my time will come when he cools off or one of us gets moved.

When we got down to four tables there was a stack with no player in seat 10. The guys at the table said they had not seen him the entire tournament. He showed up after a while right before we went on another break. Came back, played two hands and busted out. He said he was in a cash game too good to leave. Why can’t I ever find a cash game too good to leave and play my $340 seat in? LOL

Without playing one memorable hand I went to the final table with about 55k in chips. There was an ultra aggressive guy to my right for a while just before we reached the final 10 but when we did he got moved to my left. Ratz.

I got an all in with him pretty soon and doubled up when his flush draw missed against my TOP TOP. 100k in chips (640k total in play). Now the chop talks start up but I wasn’t biting and neither were one or two other guys. First place only paid 8k with the low draw so chopping didn’t appeal to a couple of us with so many people still in.

When it got down to five there some ugliness. The guy who killed the chop earlier on got knocked out and a screaming match erupted between him and the guy who was the short stack at the time. Open death threats, I’ll meet you anywhere anytime, etc. The Taj people eventually did step in but IMO they let the argument go on too long and should have done something sooner to make sure these guys didn’t get into it. It was around midnight at this point. Everyone has been playing a long time and patience is at a premium. Anyway…for as quickly as it blew up it diffused just as fast and on went the play. The short stack guy went out not too long after. I think he was happier that the guy he was arguing with cost himself money than he was with whatever fourth place paid.

I waited a few hands and had to move in with a marginal hand because I got short stacked and the two guys left were basically ready to chop if I got knocked out. Third paid $2900 so not bad for one night’s work.

**mini brag**
This makes back to back live tournaments that I have FT’d.
Showboat 9/15 420 entries (chopped with final seven)
Trum Taj 10/6 64 entries (played out took third)
Old 10-08-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Taj AC Sat 300+40 TR

Thanks for the trip report.

Congrats on the cash.