Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 10:04 PM

Default Good/bad float spot?

PokerStars $300+$20 Hold'em No Limit
Level III (25/50) - 2007/08/01 - 21:54:12 (ET)
Table '56608934 73' 9-max Seat #6 is the button

Seat 6: Exitonly4 (2165 in chips)
Seat 8: Dol4life (5360 in chips)
Seat 9: #1PEN (3105 in chips)

NiemanDK: posts small blind 25
Dol4life: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Exitonly4 [5s 5h]
#1PEN: raises 100 to 150
gunning4you: folds
pokerkid24/7: folds
nyjets4eva: folds
kings-wired: folds
djdaddio: folds
Exitonly4: calls 150
NiemanDK: folds
Dol4life: calls 100
*** FLOP *** [9s 4s 7d]
Dol4life: checks
#1PEN: bets 320
Exitonly4: calls 320
Dol4life: calls 320
*** TURN *** [9s 4s 7d] [Qd]
Dol4life: checks
#1PEN: checks
Exitonly4: bets 1695 and is all-in
--

i'm pretty much a nit, #1pen is a pretty good regular probably thinks of me as nit, when i just call that flop he's shutting down right? I was going to shove the turn if checked to HU, BB calling was unexpected, but i figured he had spades/hand that can't call shove so it shouldnt affect my turn shove.

also, calling this flop sucks as anything but a bluff later, right? I feel like i's reallly really strong to call there, i thnk i'd only be doing so normally to trap the BB in the hand. I mean, the only desirable result would him be checkign down AK and hoping he doesnt hit an over..

and finally, is pf fine? thought it was pretty close
Old 08-01-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Good/bad float spot?

no offense but pretty bad i think? its a 3way pot and he raised utg and is CBing the flop. youre usually beat and you dont have enough ways to improve, you arent deep enough to bluff profitably, and it just, yeah, doesnt seem too good.

i think i fold pf against a good player also, but i dont think calling is too bad on the button. i just dont like to call in situations where a) its unlikely i can "outplay" someone and b) im not being offered implied odds because their range is either too wide or they can fold a hand.

i also dont think that your range needs to be that small for calling this flop. like, if i were him, i wouldnt fold any hands better than yours, except maybe 88 or something.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:54 PM

no offense taken, i'm not saying i'm brilliant, i'm just trying to find some spots that i dont take. i'm bound to do (and have done) a bunch of really spewy stuff.

But i thought it was interesting you didnt htink my range was that small, cause i dont think that goes together with PF being borderline. Like, there are no SC's in my range anywhere, it's just PP's and with a slightly smaller stack i'm folding a lot of those too. And then calling again on that flop, it feelsl ike i'm slowplaying imo.

edit:

also, the part about me being 'too shallow to bluff' is something he'd think about. I dont think i have a tendency to spew like this 'too' often, so he shouldnt expect it. also, make it clear, i'm not doing ti because i have 55 or any draws. I had been very tight, and i thought he'd fold.

edit edit:

also, i obv fold to a bet on the turn.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:04 PM

well like... i see what you mean about the "range isnt too small/shouldnt call pf" being incongruous. but like, different people have different pf ranges, and i dont know what he'll assume your pf range is, which obviously changes your postflop range when you call the flop. so its just hard for him to auto-be like "oh he called, he has a set."

and yeah, youre right about the too shallow to bluff thing.... but ultimately this might be thinking yourself around in circles. it kinda reminds me of the thing strassa has talked about, where like, he'll bluff the river laying his opponent like 5:1 or something, because there's no way he can be bluffing, so his opponent needs the nuts or effective nuts to call. but those were in cash games, and these are tournaments, and i think generally if im #1PEN, im going to be like "whatever, not folding JJ here."

i also think that he just has a hand that hes going to bet the turn with a huge % of the time here, because his range just isnt that large (NOTE: i dont know much of his play in particular, im just assuming standard winning TAG/SLAG), and so youre going to be just spewing off 400 chips for no good reason a lot. a lot of people, as a rule, wont CB three way low flops, for good reason imo. so floating in a 3way pot in a tournament is generally going to be bad.

the thing is, essentially what you're asking is "is this like a good way to mix up my play and do something weird?" because obviously you arent thinking of it as the standard way to play 55 here. and the answer is.... who knows? maybe?
Old 08-01-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the thing is, essentially what you're asking is "is this like a good way to mix up my play and do something weird?" because obviously you arent thinking of it as the standard way to play 55 here. and the answer is.... who knows? maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what i'm asking, and i definitely think there is an answer. And if this is not a good wya to mix it up, then i'd like to hear more about what ways are.

edit: eh, maybe thers no answer besides that it sucks [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2007, 11:18 PM

dont feel like posting a big answer right now but at a glance i would have to say it looks like every single decision you made in this hand was wrong, starting from the beginning. Sorry :-\ (don't mean to be a dick ray, but i do reall ythink every decision was kinda bad, cept maaaaybe the flop.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:25 PM

Just echoing that this is awful.

I think preflop is fine, but I dunno.. if mlagoo and ansky disagree I'm probably wrong.

Flop is really bad. This isn't like a Q83 board where he's gonna be c-betting light into two players.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:26 PM

heh people, dont feel bad telling me i'm bad, it's ok. -- edit:nice, noah showed no mercy.

well i'm gonna go and think some more, maybe if i come back with something intersting the thread can be saved
Old 08-01-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just echoing that this is awful.

I think preflop is fine, but I dunno.. if mlagoo and ansky disagree I'm probably wrong.

Flop is really bad. This isn't like a Q83 board where he's gonna be c-betting light into two players.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think pf is classic spew, that seems like everyone does.

ya know that "5-10" rule? It's [censored].
Old 08-01-2007, 11:32 PM

I wasn't calling just to flop a set..

as seen by flop/turn spew!

edit: thats why i said in my op that pf was borderline, but i thought that I COUDL OUTSMART him. lol oh well.